Is 4K video quality recommended?

2»

Comments

• Wow, sorry, but I have to contradict.

There exist some 24'' monitors and many 28'' monitors with 4K resolution and people with normal eyes quite see the difference.

I can accept that you are not yet ready for 4K, but having 1080p enabled would be nice at least.

Also about wasting bandwidth, you might want to check out x265: https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/x264-vs-x265.htm

Anyways thanks for your humble opinion.

• OK. But... I have a 65" 4K LG OLED TV and I can switch from football game being broadcast in 4k (few of them) and one that is in standard 1080p and can only tell the difference if I look VERY closely. Also, note that a high percent of Udemy students (it is either 40% or 60%) are watching on their cell phones.

If you want to record in 4k that is fine. I have a 4k camera and when I record a file in 4k it is a much larger file than when I record in 1080p. I am aware that computer monitors, particularly Apple's, are being marketed as 4k but I would still argue that most people will not see the difference.

• @LawrenceMMiller

I understand your point with the TV as an example however the difference between 4K on any LED TV and a Retina screen is absolutely noticeable and pixels visible even from a fair distance. The pixels of 'Retina' however are imperceivable to the naked eye at any point (hence 'Retina'). It's completely crisp.

I own the 65" inch LG OLED65W9PLA / LB too, though the difference to Retina is perceivable on any similar TV. Despite being happy with it I was disappointed with the close-up clarity of my OLED tv as an experienced user of Retina - even when viewing the fully fledged 4K demo vids of the mountains and the honey dipper and the like. It's quality TV, but it's not Retina (or comparable alternatives). A 65" Retina would cost a fortune at this time.

The good news is, if you haven't seen Retina, Super-Retina or XDR, in 'big', you're in for a treat. It transformed my working life. It's why I invested in an iMac 6 years back and it impresses still to this day and completely outshines even my TV which as you know, as right up there as one of the best - if not the best in its category.

Vast resolutions aren't needed for most smaller mobile devices, but the technology is moving thick and fast. Retina has been implemented on computers since 2012.