Microphone placement: my face is behind the mic, is that bad?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone placement: my face is behind the mic, is that bad?

Go to solution

Before start recording my first course I would like to get a feedback from you more experienced guys.

Is it that bad to have my microphone showing up in front of my face like in the first picture below? It would be nice if I didn't have to buy a new microphone only to avoid that, because this one works fine when we speak close to it.

In the second picture I'm showing my equipment, my camera is ok (Canon EOS250) and my tripod is a cheap one but does its job right. 

microphone placement.JPG

home studio 2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

No unfortunately, we still can't see them 😞 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Afraid your pictures didn't come through; can you try re-posting them?

Also, what topic are you teaching? If you're teaching videography or something, it would be a bigger deal than if you're teaching programming for example.

Go to solution

I hope the picture are attached now.

home studio 2.jpg

microphone placement.JPG

Go to solution

No unfortunately, we still can't see them 😞 

Go to solution

That's weird, I can see them after the upload, but thereafter they aren't displayed anymore.

FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

If you can host the pictures somewhere else, you can link to them here instead of uploading them directly to the board. It does seem that uploaded images and videos are broken here I'm afraid.

AxelRittershaus
Community Champion

Go to solution

@Glauber you asked for an opinion, and I offer mine even without the pictures 😉

I see many instructors having a massive mic in front of them.

I personally (!) don't like that. And since I have yet to see a Netflix or Hollywood movie where they follow that approach, I trust we should look to find a way to record high quality audio without filling 25% of the screen with a microphone 🙂

But, as I said, this is my personal opinion and I still watch videos of instructors with their mic in front of them - if the content is interesting and engaging.

I'd try to hide the mic as much as possible.

Go to solution

I've wondered the same thing. I ended up putting my mic just below where you can see it, yet it still picks up my voice well. Of course, in this case, I was recording software tutorials, so my face is only on a little corner of the screen.

Like someone else pointed out, I do watch videos even if the mic is showing. I don't prefer to see the mic, but if the content is good, it's no big deal.

Good luck!

Go to solution

Just ensure that your head is more prominent than your Micheal.

jacksondone_1434760c.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.