Recording of text to speech (Read Aloud) in Microsoft Edge

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording of text to speech (Read Aloud) in Microsoft Edge

Hi,

Are there copyrights issues if anyone records the script read aloud by the "text to speech (Read Aloud)" in Microsoft Edge?

I understand that there are two broad opinions.

First, using the computer-generated voice through text-to-speech option of any third party (in this case Microsoft), should not raise a copyright issue, in itself.

The other view is that since Microsoft owns the rights over the voices in its "text-to-speech" facility, and that this facility is primarily for the use within the Microsoft's application, therefore, should not be used to record our (course creators') scripts.

I understand that the first view makes more sense that as far as the content and script of the course is original, there should not be any issue in using the voice generated by Microsoft Edge. The main argument is that it is just a tool like any other tool offered by Microsoft's applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel etc.), that we use to create our courses. So it should not be an issue, in itself, as far as the content, script and presentation style are original.

Although it is quite difficult and time consuming to record the script using the "text-to-speech option", however, it brings the clarity in the speech and delivery of the course.  

I would love to have views from the community.

Thanks

3 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SZ Since this is a very specific question about copyright, I'll recommend you send an email to our Trust & Safety team at policy@udemy.com they will be able to evaluate your case and provide you with more information on what you can or can't do. Thanks for your understanding.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

Thanks @ElianaC. I have got their response that text-to-speech is not allowed as it is not liked by the students.

I prefer recording my own voice (sounds more humane) but in some teaser videos' have used text-to-speech online and this one has worked for me : https://ttsmp3.com/text-to-speech/Indian%20English/

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.