Screencasting on a non 16:9 screen device - Any tips?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screencasting on a non 16:9 screen device - Any tips?

Go to solution

Is there anyone who is making screencasts on a non 16:9 screen?
The resolution of my screen is 3000*2000 pixels. 

What is the best way to screencast this into correct Full HD 16:9 for Udemy?

Jonas

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
JasonDion
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

That is a good question, and an odd screen resolution. You have a couple of options.

(1) It sounds like you are using a Windows PC with that strange laptop resolution, so you can configure your machine to scale down to 1080p (16:9) whlie you record it. This can be done through the Windows control panel. (Note: It will look weird to your while recording, but will look correct in the playback video.)

(2) You can hook up a cheap external 1080p HD monitor. Grab a cheap 17" or 20" monitor at the store, plug it in, and use that to record. (I have done this with my Macbook Pro in the past since it is natively 16:10 and not 16:9, but using the external monitor forces 16:9.

(3) Get a more expensive and better screen recording software. I am not sure which is the best for Windows, but on Mac I am using ScreenFlick. It has the capability to record my monitor as shown (16:10), but then rescale it to 16:9 in the video as one of the options in the software. This is now what I use for all my recordings and works great. ScreenFlick runs about $35 (well worth it for Mac users).

I hope this helps give you some ideas of this to try,

Jason Dion

Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions

View solution in original post

Go to solution

Most screen recording applications allow you to record only a certain portion of the screen.

You could use that feature to not capture the full height of the screen, but only the necessary space to make for a 16:9 proportion, and work only on that part of the screen during the screencast.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JasonDion
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

That is a good question, and an odd screen resolution. You have a couple of options.

(1) It sounds like you are using a Windows PC with that strange laptop resolution, so you can configure your machine to scale down to 1080p (16:9) whlie you record it. This can be done through the Windows control panel. (Note: It will look weird to your while recording, but will look correct in the playback video.)

(2) You can hook up a cheap external 1080p HD monitor. Grab a cheap 17" or 20" monitor at the store, plug it in, and use that to record. (I have done this with my Macbook Pro in the past since it is natively 16:10 and not 16:9, but using the external monitor forces 16:9.

(3) Get a more expensive and better screen recording software. I am not sure which is the best for Windows, but on Mac I am using ScreenFlick. It has the capability to record my monitor as shown (16:10), but then rescale it to 16:9 in the video as one of the options in the software. This is now what I use for all my recordings and works great. ScreenFlick runs about $35 (well worth it for Mac users).

I hope this helps give you some ideas of this to try,

Jason Dion

Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions

Go to solution

Thanks for great input! I will probably use the screencast software with a selected area that is 16:9. I think that is the easiest way to set it up!

Have a great day!

Go to solution

Most screen recording applications allow you to record only a certain portion of the screen.

You could use that feature to not capture the full height of the screen, but only the necessary space to make for a 16:9 proportion, and work only on that part of the screen during the screencast.

Go to solution

I tried this with my screencast app and it works really well to do ie Full HD * 1,3 and then scale it down to full HD. I think that is the solution I'm gonna apply! That actually makes it a bit better than screencasting in full screen cause you can keep some stuff outside of the screencast as well! Like the recording window and some notes. 🙂

Go to solution

Great to know it worked for you 😉

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors