Something to make a studio room Sound proof

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something to make a studio room Sound proof

Go to solution

Hey CoInstructors! I am working to setup a studio in my house by sparing a room. But the issue is that there is always some outside noise and I want to make my room sound proof to avoid noises coming from outside. Can anybody please suggest some really economical and useful solution for it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

I live downtown, within 1/2 mile of 2 highways, a huge hospital, fire station, police station, we have a TON of Harleys, ambulances, and helicopters.

I have towels/plywood over the window, and I record pure audio in a bedroom closet with the doors closed and more sound insulation and towels. I also use a microphone box.

When I do talking heads videos it is only possible between 01:00 and 04:00 in the morning, and then I still have to stop often because something loud is close enough. It is the very deep and very high sounds that is the issue, the rest is drowned out with the plywood/towels/insulation.

With talking heads I still use the microphone box.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Go to solution

Blankets on the wall and duvets on doors and windows is the place to start.

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

This may not be a possible situation for you but here's an option: https://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing_101/building-a-room-within-a-room

Try to cover the thinner and less insulated parts of the room, usually windows and doors. 

Using the right microphone for the environment is also important. A boom mic will help with that. A cardioid mic will not. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

I live downtown, within 1/2 mile of 2 highways, a huge hospital, fire station, police station, we have a TON of Harleys, ambulances, and helicopters.

I have towels/plywood over the window, and I record pure audio in a bedroom closet with the doors closed and more sound insulation and towels. I also use a microphone box.

When I do talking heads videos it is only possible between 01:00 and 04:00 in the morning, and then I still have to stop often because something loud is close enough. It is the very deep and very high sounds that is the issue, the rest is drowned out with the plywood/towels/insulation.

With talking heads I still use the microphone box.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

I posted this somewhere else here.

I was able to remove a lot of external noise using a Kaotica Eyeball wrapped around my Blue Yeti microphone.  It removes a lot of outside noise, computer noise and even typing sounds.

IS575544-01-03-BIG.jpg

It's not cheap at $199 but it's a lot cheaper and more convenient than other options.

---Brian

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors