Using a camera with no mic option

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a camera with no mic option

Hi all 🙂

I'm preparing for my first course recording.

I have a Nikon D3100, which is a good camera, but does not have a Mic socket. It only has an A/V output, which I guess is not a Mic input.

I wil need to do both screencasting with my talking head, and full body for the course intro and summary.

I think I cannot use my Nikon at all, since I cannot record both Audio & Video in sync. Am I correct here?

So, do I need to get two mics, one for the full body take and another for the screencast parts? I thought I could use something like the SmartLov+ for both, but how can I do a full body with the short cable dwindling out connected to the PC in a distance?

Any thoughts on what you'd do in this situation?

Thanks!

Mor

9 Replies
Hypnodan
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

If the mic has a long enough lead (my SmartLav mic sounds fine with my extension cord) then the wire can be out of shot and attached to you with the wire up inside your clothes and you can record the audio and synch everything afterwards. There are other mics, I mainly now use the RodeVideoMicro. Before this I used to use my Zoom H1 in my pocket with a Rode SmartLav from the Zoom in my pocket recording onto the Zoom and I would synch the audio afterwards. I still do this when teaching in front of groups where my camera is at the back of a room and it is easier just to synch everything later (I use VideoStudio X9 because it has an autosynching feature).

I've not done it, but I imagine that even without something like a Zoom H1, you can probably put your smart phone onto airplane mode and use an audio recording function to record the audio onto that in your pocket from a SmartLav+.

I occasionally do screen cast on my courses and whatever I do I always record the audio the same, with the same mic into the same device so that the audio will be the same. There is a risk of using different mics and ways of recording that sometimes it can sound odd with slightly different ways the noise is picked up, so I think it helps with consistency.

All the best

Dan

You may be able to use a lavalier or lapel mic plugged into you phone to record audio, which will then have to be aded and synched with the video. Just put in in your pocket.

You may be able to get a mic compatible with the Nikon shoe, though this may be more expensive. 

Thank Bruno.

The Nikon doesn't have a Mic shoe.

Thank you Dan.

Probably a portable recorder with a SmartLav would be best in my case, for all takes.

I was not aware of the Zoom H1...

I also use VideoStudio, just upgraded to the 2019 version, it has a new feature for recording both the screen and the camera simulatneously, for screencast with PIP head shot!

@MorSagmon wrote:

I have a Nikon D3100, which is a good camera, but does not have a Mic socket....

I think I cannot use my Nikon at all, since I cannot record both Audio & Video in sync. Am I correct here?

No. You can definitely use your D3100.  I use a D3400 that doesn't have a mic jack either.

You will need to record video and audio to separate devices and then sync them in post production.

One very common trick to facilitate the process, is to clap at the beginning of the video.  The peak in volume that will be recorded in both recordings (the audio recorded by the built-in mic in the cam, and the audio from the dedicated mic) will make the process of aligning the audio waves visually very easy.

@MorSagmon wrote:

So, do I need to get two mics, one for the full body take and another for the screencast parts? I thought I could use something like the SmartLov+ for both, but how can I do a full body with the short cable dwindling out connected to the PC in a distance?

Thanks!

Mor

You can do it either way, but as Dan suggested, recording with 2 different mics might add some inconsistency in the sound or depth of your voice.

If the mic cable is too short, you can most likely use a dedicated audio recorder or even a smartphone, which can be in your pocket, as Dan also suggested, although I believe that if you want the best quality, a smartphone might not be the best choice.  I use a portable Tascam recorder for that.

Thanks, Carlos.

I'm now aiming towards a SmartLav type, recording to a separate device with sync afterwards in the VideoStudio software.

I'm not sure though, if I should buy a portable recorde to put in my pocket (such as the Zoom H1 or a Tascam), or, buy an extention for the wired mic to connect to my laptop and record there.

I know I want a good quality outcome therefore I'd refrain from using the smartphone as a recorder.

Buying a extension would be a easy fix. Using two recorders will sound different in tone and maybe hard to match.

Thanks, Jeff.

Good to learn of the extension cable as an option!

Might just connect to the Laptop and record with Audacity.

Updating that I found this mic: Audio-Technica ATR-3350IS, that comes with a 6m cable!

This allows to record audio directly into my Laptop (will use Audacity) while capturing the video with the Nikon camera. Later I'll sync with the VideoStudio 2019 software.

Thank you for all your suggestions and guidance!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.