Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Which Editing Software do you use?

Hello Instructors!

We know that everyone has their own style of video creation because we’ve already seen your different audio & visual setups. But for this discussion, we’d love to know which software you are using to pull it all together?

Which editing software do you use and why do you use it?

86 Replies

Camtasia every time.

@SimonKloot I've been considering Camtasia for a while. What are the benefits of using it over OBS + Final Cut Pro which is what I use?

Camtasia is a lot more intuitive for me than OBS.

I haven't used Final Cut Pro.

I use Camtasia for screencast recording and video editing and Audacity for audio editing.

The reason I chose Camtasia is that Udemy (5+ years ago) partnered with Techsmiths to provide instructors 50% OFF licenses, so I got it at a discounted price, it suits my needs well, and with the maintenance plan, I always get the latest version every year. I use Audacity because it's free, and it works very well.

Thanks @AHardin.  Are there currently any discounted licenses for Camtasia?

I don't think Udemy partners with them anymore, but you can ask Udemy. I do know that TechSmith runs sales periodically. I'd check their website.

FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I think that old promotion is also what sucked me in with Camtasia, and I still use it to this day.

It does what I need, but I have to admit the licensing fee for it seems a bit high for what it is. It's also annoying that I need to buy additional licenses for every computer I might edit on.

I do wish Camtasia offered some more modern-looking motion graphics, lower-thirds, and intro/outro templates though. Even with their add-on packages there's not much that really looks like the style I have in mind.

I've never used DaVinci Resolve, but I've been eyeing it with curiosity...

I agree that the licensing isn't as great as it needs to be, but, overall, I don't think it's too bad when you compare it to Adobe and others in the software industry that use a monthly subscription business model.

It's not the best software in the industry, is very CPU intensive (doesn't like using GPU power) and I agree that TechSmith hasn't really innovated their animations library, but it gets the job done, is easy to use, and suits the needs for probably 90% of the instructors here.

>> It's also annoying that I need to buy additional licenses for every computer I might edit on.

Just in case you don’t know, a single license allows you to install it onto 2 computers.

How do you approach editing the video and the audio - do you feed the video into Camtasia first to edit the video/cut sections that you don't want and THEN feed the audio into Audacity and reattach to the video?

Dear Mr.Hardin

I have just started to upload videos in udemy. I also use CAMTASIA. The screen recording is 1920 * 1080P, and the output is the same. After uploading to udemy, the video always shows black edges. After many modifications, the result is still the same. Have you ever met? thank you

Hi Lisa,

After a lot of trial and error in the beginning, I finally opted to use the NCH software suite.

Videopad for editing video's, Wavepad for sound editing, Video capture for video recording and Photpad for image editing. I find all these very effective and easy to use. Not that expensive either. Give them a try.

Thanks,dear.

I am really crazy of the black bars around my video😂😂😂, actually i cannot seen them in my side😅

Same here. Good stuff. 

Hi, I started using OBS for capturing the video from the screen and Davinci Resolve for the editing. Its working well for me so far

Davinci Resolve, it's free and does its job to create amazing edits.

Does it allow you to zoom into the footage, like Camtasia? 

Thanks Bernard, ive tested Davinci and it seems to be effective.

Great recommendation.

I currently use DaVinci Resolve 18, but I have used Camtasia Studio 8. I recommend Camtasia to anyone that needs nothing more but simple editing and a screen recording incorporated within the software. Camtasia is really great, still DaVinci is the winner for me!

Marius Manolachi
Online instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.