Working in Noisy Environment

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working in Noisy Environment

Go to solution

Hello Instructors

I live in a very noisy environment. During the day, it's the people. During the night, it's the dogs. So, guys, how do you deal with the noise in your environment? 

Engineer, Engineering Academy-Nepal
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

That's tricky. I'm in an apartment with noisy neighbours and right next to a busy bus street that shakes the entire building. Plus I have an indoor garden beside me with fans and hydroponics stuff that's always making an annoying hum sound. 

What I ended up doing was testing the GAIN on my microphone (I have a blue yeti) and making it quiet so it doesnt pick up very much beyond about 6-10ft away. It still picks up loud cars and about 20% of the bus sound going by and all my gardening sounds. But it's A LOT less. 

But the problem I had then was really QUIET audio. So I put the audio into Audacity (or really any audio editing program) and applying a really good noise filter (noise filters/reducers in Camtasia/ScreenFlow/etc are not very good). Then I looked up some additional methods for making the sound louder without making it sound like I'm screaming and tweaked the audio with several additional filters. I'd tell you which ones but it's going to be different for everybody, unfortunately. It took about 3 days of exploring for me to figure out "my process" when editing audio. 

After that I edit the audio directly. I listen to the entire lesson and cut out some of the filler words I use (and some of the funny Canadian things I say). Export it as a high quality mp3 or .wav, and in my video editing software I add a layer for the audio.

I still cant get rid of 100% of the noise, but it's VERY CLOSE. And only I can tell because I'm listening for it with good headphones.

This is a time-expensive process. If you can, limit your environmental sounds first. Otherwise software is the last resort and there's only so much we can do. But for me, it's worked out really well (aside from having to edit audio AND video now).

View solution in original post

Go to solution

@Gokul I personally use Krisp (krisp.ai) and works perfectly for me, there is a free plan for 120 mins a week but I use the unlimited mins pro plan. It's the only thing I now use for my recordings, hope it helps :

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Go to solution

That's tricky. I'm in an apartment with noisy neighbours and right next to a busy bus street that shakes the entire building. Plus I have an indoor garden beside me with fans and hydroponics stuff that's always making an annoying hum sound. 

What I ended up doing was testing the GAIN on my microphone (I have a blue yeti) and making it quiet so it doesnt pick up very much beyond about 6-10ft away. It still picks up loud cars and about 20% of the bus sound going by and all my gardening sounds. But it's A LOT less. 

But the problem I had then was really QUIET audio. So I put the audio into Audacity (or really any audio editing program) and applying a really good noise filter (noise filters/reducers in Camtasia/ScreenFlow/etc are not very good). Then I looked up some additional methods for making the sound louder without making it sound like I'm screaming and tweaked the audio with several additional filters. I'd tell you which ones but it's going to be different for everybody, unfortunately. It took about 3 days of exploring for me to figure out "my process" when editing audio. 

After that I edit the audio directly. I listen to the entire lesson and cut out some of the filler words I use (and some of the funny Canadian things I say). Export it as a high quality mp3 or .wav, and in my video editing software I add a layer for the audio.

I still cant get rid of 100% of the noise, but it's VERY CLOSE. And only I can tell because I'm listening for it with good headphones.

This is a time-expensive process. If you can, limit your environmental sounds first. Otherwise software is the last resort and there's only so much we can do. But for me, it's worked out really well (aside from having to edit audio AND video now).

Go to solution

Thank you for your valuable information. I too use blue yeti. I am able to get rid of continuous noise with the same method that you follow using audition. However, the problem is when i am recording at night, all of sudden, one dog starts barking and all the other dogs follow him. I have to pause for a while and wait for them to shut up. The entire flow gets disturbed. 

Have you ever thought of purchasing or making a small noise-proof cabin?

Go to solution

I have thought about it, but I live in a place that gets way too cold in winter to have it outside, and way too small indoors to have one. 

I've noice proofed the room a bit with blankets but that's for internal sound. 

I just recently bought a house so the idea is to use the basement as a recording studio. Hopefully that turns out well and the neighbours don't turn out to be partiers. 

Go to solution

you had one like from me just for your first paragraph. It made me wonder some of you guys live in terrible conditions...

Go to solution

I can help you out to be an expert in calligraphy and be creative.

How I can start providing courses using udemy ..... my business email is same as company email. 

Go to solution

Issue with Audacity is that M4A audio files are not accepted. Every time the audio files needed to be conveted to compatible versions. After noise reduction they needed to be converted back.

Go to solution

@Gokul I personally use Krisp (krisp.ai) and works perfectly for me, there is a free plan for 120 mins a week but I use the unlimited mins pro plan. It's the only thing I now use for my recordings, hope it helps :

Go to solution

@DYay2810  I checked it out. It looks promising. Will it able to block the dogs barking and also the neighbors doing their work and talking? What is your experience? 

Thanks a lot for pointing this out. 

Go to solution

Try Nvidia RTX Voice. It is excellent! Works with gtx cards too. 

https://youtu.be/fTtnOC4kS18

Go to solution

Hi @Gokul, sorry for the late reply, yes it blocks out most if not, all the noise. There are also some samples on the website, do check them out - one of the cases are barking dogs 🙂 I have had a great experience since I started to use it.

Go to solution

Great tip. Thanks. I will try it

Go to solution

Indeed I too recommend Krisp, a nice AI based tool,which helps cancel all types of background noise with its advanced algorithms.

Go to solution

Others have mentioned digital soultions, but here's an organic one you can use, or comibe. You can make your own, really effective sound panels for really cheap.

You can get rockwool, or other insulation materials really cheap. If you're recording on camera as a talking head, you can place them just outside of frame. But even better if you're just doing voice narration - make a little box around the microphone to talk into.

Eliminates all the sound coming from the enviroment and also removes the hollow echo sound you might get recording in a larger room.

This is what I did, called a insulation fitter, got some left over packs of rockwool for $30. Built a little home stuido for recording. The voice quality is night and day.

Go to solution

Hello  @JoshuaBrind355 

Thank you so much for your response. Can I see your studio so that I can get some idea? Some pictures will be appreciated. 

Go to solution

Hi Gokul,

I have taken the stuff down for a bit of a move this weekend. I'm putting it back up and I'll share some pictures then. 

Go to solution

@JoshuaBrind355  Thanks. It will be very much helpful. 

Go to solution

Try small room so it will reduce the echo and try to cover ur window and all exit points with soundproof material or Blacket.

Go to solution

Thanks Suraj!

Go to solution

1. First thing: don't use a Blue Yeti. It's a condenser microphone, which is great for using in a quiet environment, but condenser mics pick up loads of background noise. I used to use the Blue Snowball Ice - it seemed to pick up noises that even I couldn't hear! Get a dynamic, cardioid microphone instead. I use the Audio Technica ATR2100. These pick up less background noise and a cardioid mic generally picks up noise from in front of it. 

2. You might also want to consider getting soundproofing foam panels and fitting them over your window frames. You should be able to attach them with tape to the window frames, as they are quite light. These might absorb some of the noise from outside, as a lot of it comes through the windows. (Not tried this myself, but it's been suggested to me).

3. Reduce the gain / input volume on your microphone. This will lower the volume of your voice, but also the volume of the dogs. Then you can run your recording through software to reduce background noise, then you can normalise the recording level so that your voice volume is boosted again. I use Auphonic for this, but I'm going to check out Krisp as well. You can also use Audacity - more time consuming though, but useful if the original recording is poor. I used to use the Noise Gate plug-in with Audacity, which removes noise below a certain decibel level. Very clever, but takes a bit of work to get right.

4. Instead of  point 3, you could outsource your audio editing and get someone skilled at this to remove the dog / people noise.

Good luck!

Go to solution

Hi Charles

Thanks a lot for this valuable suggestion. I have been using blue yeti. I should consider changing the mic. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.