reviews and ratings

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reviews and ratings

Go to solution

First, i would like to thank Udemy for giving me an opportunity to present my courses to a very huge global audience.

I am a part-time instructor with my main job as a sales engineer.I am very happy with udemy platform.

I have only published three courses and its getting to slowly pick up and I am grateful to udemy in this regards.

My problem is rating should be asked only at the end of course as I had received a five-star rating from a student and another one star from another student who had just completed only 3% of my course.

This rating definitely impacts my overall rating and all students will not have the patience to see the full reviews. 

another of my course after being in udemy for a month does not have a single review yet but students do enrol.

How do I cope up with situations like this? I just wanted to know since I am completely new to udemy and only 5 months passed.

thank you

regards

Vinod KJ

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Hi @VinodKj459,

We're very happy to see your courses started to pick up. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. Please allow me to share some insight with you.

There are a number of factors a student can review in the first couple of minutes, such as the course’s audio & video quality and an instructor’s teaching style. To make this first impression great, we recommend providing a lot of value in the first 10-30 minutes of your course to hook your students and make them want to continue your course (and leave a good early review).

We also found that asking for reviews early on is really helpful for new courses because students are more likely to take a course with “social proof”. If we didn’t ask for reviews early on, it may take days, or even months, for someone to finish your course and leave a review.

Also, keep in mind that there are a number of factors we’re using to help weight ratings; however, three of the most significant are:

• Amount of the course the student consumed before leaving the rating
  • How recently the rating was left
  • How valuable the student’s feedback was to instructors and students

With this in mind, your course rating is not a pure average of all reviews, but each individual review may be weighted differently based on all the factors Udemy considers.

Hope this helps clarify this!

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@VinodKj459,

Two comments:

1) Challenge bad reviews.  I've had some very pleasant Udemy message exchanges with bad reviewers.  Quite often I'm able to solve a few problems for them and ask that they reconsider their review.  Don't ask for a 5 star review, simply see what they're thinking and ultimately end with a request that they reconsider their existing review.

2) Scan your student completion records and ask students who have completed 100% (or a lot) of your course for a review.  Again, don't mention a star rating, just congratulate them on finishing your course and ask them for an honest review.  I include a link to the course with a brief sentence about how to leave a review.  Note that student who have completed 100% of your course are 1) likely to leave a review and 2) likely to leave a good one.

Hope this helps,

---Brian

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Go to solution

Hi @VinodKj459,

We're very happy to see your courses started to pick up. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. Please allow me to share some insight with you.

There are a number of factors a student can review in the first couple of minutes, such as the course’s audio & video quality and an instructor’s teaching style. To make this first impression great, we recommend providing a lot of value in the first 10-30 minutes of your course to hook your students and make them want to continue your course (and leave a good early review).

We also found that asking for reviews early on is really helpful for new courses because students are more likely to take a course with “social proof”. If we didn’t ask for reviews early on, it may take days, or even months, for someone to finish your course and leave a review.

Also, keep in mind that there are a number of factors we’re using to help weight ratings; however, three of the most significant are:

• Amount of the course the student consumed before leaving the rating
  • How recently the rating was left
  • How valuable the student’s feedback was to instructors and students

With this in mind, your course rating is not a pure average of all reviews, but each individual review may be weighted differently based on all the factors Udemy considers.

Hope this helps clarify this!

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

Go to solution

Hi abbie,

Thanks a lot for the reply,

now i understand why udemy asks for reviews early on,

thanks a lot for writing back

best regards

Vinod KJ

Go to solution

Hi Udemy,

I recently created a course and the course is live, i have launched my course at tier1 and you applied 67% discount on it and that became 422 IRS. 

I am happy with it, so i will get more students and they see worthy of my course. My course is with 20 hours, 50 lectures.

I have got 50 students in one week and most of them given 5 and 4.5 rating. 

On the other hand the first student enrolled to my course is one of the partner instructor to similar course person and their course well established in udemy.

This person intensionally given less rating and few more persons belong to them given me 3 rating and thease guys are very smart that they are finishing 20% content of the course to publish their rating. They are giving only rating and no comment. 

The persons given 3 rating are enrolled with all the courses that belongs to the same technology. Seems their job is "pulling legs of new courses with ratings to improve their business". 

I don't know how you resolve these issues but i had very bad expereince in starting. I have increased my course cost to restrict them and you please don't apply any discount for some days. 

Please take care of new courses where as same technology courses exist, "every instructor has threir own talent to bring the unique talent and quality course"

Thank you. 

Go to solution

I had similar experience.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@VinodKj459,

Two comments:

1) Challenge bad reviews.  I've had some very pleasant Udemy message exchanges with bad reviewers.  Quite often I'm able to solve a few problems for them and ask that they reconsider their review.  Don't ask for a 5 star review, simply see what they're thinking and ultimately end with a request that they reconsider their existing review.

2) Scan your student completion records and ask students who have completed 100% (or a lot) of your course for a review.  Again, don't mention a star rating, just congratulate them on finishing your course and ask them for an honest review.  I include a link to the course with a brief sentence about how to leave a review.  Note that student who have completed 100% of your course are 1) likely to leave a review and 2) likely to leave a good one.

Hope this helps,

---Brian

Go to solution

Hi Brian,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

I will follow the suggestions with pleasure.

Thanks a lot

Best regards

Vinod KJ

Go to solution

I updated my response to a student comment that was particularly damaging and based on the student not having done the lessons at all.  I was concerned as to the comments, regardless of the social media aspect that young people define their world by nowadays because the student had not yet done any formal lessons and not done any formal assignments outside of quick win introductory things about them.  I was a bit scathing with my response, so I edited it to be more professional and positive.  However, that updated response is not posted at all.  Why not?

Go to solution

Hi Vinod KJ,

I faced the same issue too. Frankly, I don't believe I deserved a one-star rating. Of course, I hope Udemy can help to investigate. It also implied that Udemy Review team were not doing their job if Udemy accepted one-star rating, as if Udemy approved a "rubbish" course. However, I sincerely believe Udemy Review team had done a great job and took the time to review and ensure the course meeting certain standards before approving the course. 

While. I have posted my article elsewhere and was classified as featured article (because of high quality content). However, got only 1 star on Udemy despite providing it as a free course, together with full course materials (PowerPoint slides and Transcripts).

All I can think of was maybe the person was in the bad mood, trying to release his/her stress. Or, it could be somone trying to sabotage you (because you are doing too good).

Think it possitively, there are many ways to success. (",)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.