A faceless video course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A faceless video course

Go to solution

Hello, everyone! I am Elizabeth, and I am excited to share that I have recently launched my first course on Udemy. For the course, I utilized a tool to record my voice-overs and created corresponding slides. I am curious about the performance of faceless courses on Udemy and would appreciate your recommendation.

Is it typically successful, and would you suggest pursuing this approach?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @ElizabethDj0021 Congratulations on launching your first course. It is not mandatory to show yourself on camera. However, many instructors have found that being on camera increases student engagement and satisfaction. Seeing the instructor builds a connection and trust with the students, it all depends on the topic of your course, many instructors have recorded their courses without their faces on their video, but they focus the attention on better audio quality and image. Throughout the journey, you'll learn what works best for your audience and what doesn't. 

View solution in original post

SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @ElizabethDj0021  - congratulations on publishing your first course. My view is that is can be very course or genre specific. For example, I have 21 published courses (since Ap 2014). All my courses feature me in most but not all of the videos. I teach Shamanism, and my tribe likes seeing and engaging with me. They feel they know who I am, and once I have a student hooked, they purchase many of my courses.

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @ElizabethDj0021 Congratulations on launching your first course. It is not mandatory to show yourself on camera. However, many instructors have found that being on camera increases student engagement and satisfaction. Seeing the instructor builds a connection and trust with the students, it all depends on the topic of your course, many instructors have recorded their courses without their faces on their video, but they focus the attention on better audio quality and image. Throughout the journey, you'll learn what works best for your audience and what doesn't. 

Go to solution

Thank you so much @ElianaC  for your guiding response. I really appreciate it. 

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Welcome to the community @ElizabethDj0021.

See you in the next coffee chat! 😊

Go to solution

Thank you @MarinaT I am looking forward to it. 

Go to solution

Hi @ElizabethDj0021 - I have created close to 30 courses over the past 3.5 years and all my courses are faceless. Most of my courses are rated 4.3 to 4.7 so my students do not seem to care. However, I will say I think it depends a lot of what you are teaching and whether you can keep the student engaged without including a section of the page showing your face. All of my courses are very engaging with regards to what I am teaching so I've never felt it necessary to include a shot of me talking. 

I also don't particularly enjoy taking courses where the instructor shows him/herself talking during the whole course. I usually find that rather annoying.

Go to solution

Thank you so much, @RandyMinder, for sharing your experience. Your insights provide me with the confidence to continue promoting my course and to make improvements based on my students' feedback

SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @ElizabethDj0021  - congratulations on publishing your first course. My view is that is can be very course or genre specific. For example, I have 21 published courses (since Ap 2014). All my courses feature me in most but not all of the videos. I teach Shamanism, and my tribe likes seeing and engaging with me. They feel they know who I am, and once I have a student hooked, they purchase many of my courses.

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose

Go to solution

Hello, @SharonRamel Thank you for your guiding response, I really do appreciate it. I will then adjust my course based on students' responses/feedback.

Go to solution

Hi @ElizabethDj0021 , nice to see you joining!

I also prefer faceless approach for my business-related courses. I have found many benefits in it.

As I have noticed, there two schools of approaching course creation - instructor-centered, and faceless. They both can be very successful, but usually individual preferences make us a bit biased regarding our own choices 😉  

For some inspiration, check those instructors:

https://www.udemy.com/user/365careers/?kw=365+car&src=sac

https://www.udemy.com/user/asengyczew/?kw=asen&src=sac 

Regards,

Boris

Go to solution

Had a quick look and listen to your course, and it seems more than fine actually. Sound quality is great, and your introductory videos that do show your face is warm and welcoming. Good luck and weldone! 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors