Assignments

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assignments

Go to solution

What is your advice on creating assignments for students?

Will it create too much work (providing feedback) in the long-term?

Can I delete them later or would existing students lose their work?

Do you use assignments for your students?

Thanks for your advice. I am just proof reading/ watching my first course ready to publish. Would like to know the best thing to do.

LL
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Based on my experience as a Udemy student, I say create assignments and encourage questions. I've taken quite a few courses here, and have the most positive feelings toward (and gave the best reviews to) the instructors who had assignments and responded to them, and who answered questions.

I'm planning to include assignments in my course. I suspect not so many students will actually do them, but I bet those who do and who get feedback from me will be more inclined to take other courses from me.

By the way, what is your course about? 

David

View solution in original post

SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Lizzy - I use assignments extensively in all my courses. It deepens and broadens their learning and students love them.

Be aware that this feature is NOT available (to my chagrin) on the Udemy App and they have no inclination to update it in the foreseeable future. I get around this by also having PDF's of the assignments for them - it is not the same experience as they do not get the feedback that they love.... but it is the best I can do with the system limitations. 

So long as you provide adequate resources AND a credible answer they get it right. My answers are generally only a few words of encouragement (which they LOVE). Students like to feel you are here and available for them and this is one great way to do this. It takes me less than five minutes to reply to a dozen assignment answers (today's lot - I timed myself for you!!!).

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Go to solution

This is a good idea to give some assignments to the student. Maybe it can take some time to complete but by doing this we can check  the undestanding of students , we can check their knowledge on behalf of our cources.

Himanshu

Go to solution

Hi @HimanshuUpa530 

Yes, that's a good point- to see if the teaching is effective. Thanks so much 

LL

Go to solution

Based on my experience as a Udemy student, I say create assignments and encourage questions. I've taken quite a few courses here, and have the most positive feelings toward (and gave the best reviews to) the instructors who had assignments and responded to them, and who answered questions.

I'm planning to include assignments in my course. I suspect not so many students will actually do them, but I bet those who do and who get feedback from me will be more inclined to take other courses from me.

David

Go to solution

Thanks for your advice @DavidBookbinder 

My first course is for adults with dyslexia to help them understand it. This will be very niche. I am not concerned about making money in the early stages, I am just keen to learn how to create a good course.

Hope you are making good progress with your course.

LL

Go to solution

Hi, Lizzy. Your course sounds interesting and needed, particularly if it helps some people understand that their learning disability is not their fault and something they can work around. I look forward to seeing it.

As for me, the going is slow, but I am editing my 7th lecture this week.

Given that I'm still seeing clients full time, I think I'm making reasonable progress, but it will still take me quite a while, at this rate, to be ready to publish.

David

Go to solution

@DavidBookbinder Yes, it's hard to fit in around other work. Mine gets really busy now and my courses will go on the backburner. But my first one is nearly done.

LL

Go to solution

@DavidBookbinder wrote:

David

Hi David

Do you add assignments during course preparation only or  add assignments afterwards to boost course engagement by students  by communicating via announcements/ promotion emails etc?

Udemy advice to promote student engagement  using methods like challenging the students to complete X hours of course and so on.

I am wondering whether anybody tried this to engage the students and what was the outcome?

Thank you.

Biju Joseph

SharonRamel
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Lizzy - I use assignments extensively in all my courses. It deepens and broadens their learning and students love them.

Be aware that this feature is NOT available (to my chagrin) on the Udemy App and they have no inclination to update it in the foreseeable future. I get around this by also having PDF's of the assignments for them - it is not the same experience as they do not get the feedback that they love.... but it is the best I can do with the system limitations. 

So long as you provide adequate resources AND a credible answer they get it right. My answers are generally only a few words of encouragement (which they LOVE). Students like to feel you are here and available for them and this is one great way to do this. It takes me less than five minutes to reply to a dozen assignment answers (today's lot - I timed myself for you!!!).

Sharon Ramel

Go to solution

Hi @SharonRamel 

That's great advice, thank you. I appreciate you giving me the timing it takes, and of course, you have loads of successful courses so if you can manage it, I'm sure I could as well. I am expecting a soft launch of my courses! I will probably welcome an assignment from a student! It's great to know you enjoy it.

LL
Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

@SharonRamel 

Shame about the app I would think since it is a key feature it would be on the roadmap...
Questions (because I am adding assignments soon).
How many students do you think do the assignments?

How many assignments do you have in a course? 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
SharonRamel
Community Champion

Go to solution

@Thor , it depends on the course length - roughly one per hour of content and a maximum of one per section. It really depends on the course and how it is going as the assignment are a natural part of the flow.

I had a look for you and the assignments on this rational would pan out to be about 70. Many students use the App so they are restricted to working with a PDF copy of it. I have managed to reduce the irritation from them by providing them with the PDF's - Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 11.38.07 am.png

Sharon Ramel
Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Mahalo Nui Loa! 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Go to solution

I can  make assignments  for students.. specialy of finance & accounting..

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors