Books copyrights, how to avoid getting into problems?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Books copyrights, how to avoid getting into problems?

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

My name is Sultan, and this is going to be my first attempt at teaching online.

In my first course (which I am still preparing at the moment), I want to use a book as a reference for the curriculum, and as a guideline for students to know where are the contents of this course are coming from.

I need your advice on the subject, am I going to get into trouble by using the book in that way? And what are the things that I should pay attention to to avoid such things?

Thank you in advance,

Sultan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

You can refer to it, but you can't require students to use a certain book.

The course should stand on its own.

Best way to ensure no issue would be to contact the author and get permission to do the course and referring to their book.

For some of my courses I contacted the certification provider and got written permission to use their logo. Good thing I did, 2 years later their legal department contacted me, telling me to remove it from all my materials. Since I had the letter from their legal department allowing it, I sent the email back to them and they said .. hmm OK then. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

You can refer to it, but you can't require students to use a certain book.

The course should stand on its own.

Best way to ensure no issue would be to contact the author and get permission to do the course and referring to their book.

For some of my courses I contacted the certification provider and got written permission to use their logo. Good thing I did, 2 years later their legal department contacted me, telling me to remove it from all my materials. Since I had the letter from their legal department allowing it, I sent the email back to them and they said .. hmm OK then. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors