Commercial software training course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commercial software training course

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

Could I develop a training course on a commercial software without taking the permission of its developer?

What are the legal steps?

Thanks for advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

If you hunt down the company's terms and conditions for using their trademarks, you might get lucky and see that they explicitly allow books and training as long as you represent their trademark correctly.

If they don't, then you really should seek written permission first. I have heard some horror stories of instructors getting a cease & desist letter out of the blue, and having to pull down their courses and all of the revenue associated with them.

If they aren't responding to emails, try harder. See if you can find a connection through LinkedIn or other people to email. Try calling them. I'm going through this same process right now myself, and if I can't get an answer, I'm not making the course. Too many commercial companies offer training as part of their business, and may view your course as competition they won't tolerate.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Go to solution

@Mohamed Mesbah - Why wouldn't you ask the developer?

Go to solution

@RandyMinder I tried through emails but unfortunately I have not received any response.

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @Mohamed Mesbah if you think that the material that you are using might be infringing upon somebody else's idea or content, we would suggest not including it in your course. The easiest way to check whether it is ok for you to use somebody else's content in your course is to contact them directly and ask for their permission.

Ultimately, Udemy cannot advise on any copyright issue and takes no responsibility for the material that you place on our platform. Remember that you retain the rights to all of the content that you place on Udemy and that we are simply the platform through which you deliver that material.

For more information please write an email to our Trust & Safety team at policy@udemy.com.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community

Go to solution

@ElianaC Do you know if Photoshop, Microsoft or autocad instructors get approval from the developers?

I communicated the developer but unfortunately I have not received any response yet.

FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

If you hunt down the company's terms and conditions for using their trademarks, you might get lucky and see that they explicitly allow books and training as long as you represent their trademark correctly.

If they don't, then you really should seek written permission first. I have heard some horror stories of instructors getting a cease & desist letter out of the blue, and having to pull down their courses and all of the revenue associated with them.

If they aren't responding to emails, try harder. See if you can find a connection through LinkedIn or other people to email. Try calling them. I'm going through this same process right now myself, and if I can't get an answer, I'm not making the course. Too many commercial companies offer training as part of their business, and may view your course as competition they won't tolerate.

Go to solution

This all-in-one Java training will give you a firm foundation in Java, the most commonly used programming language in software development. This Selenium Certification Training enables you to master the complete Selenium suite.

Go to solution

I'm happy join the communities' 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors