Course Preview - Pro vs. Amateur

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Course Preview - Pro vs. Amateur

I've watched a number of Preview videos (essentially the commercial for the course) and feel disheartened. Some include video clips (with paid actors?), flashy transitions, captions, soaring music, graphics, and more--far beyond what I'm able to create. Video isn't my expertise, and I feel like my simple "talking head" videos will be ridiculously boring and amateurish compared to what it seems other instructors are producing. Anyone else dealing with this?

(Along these lines, who actually creates the Preview video, me or Udemy?)

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies

You create them. Most of the courses don't have those. However Udemy is a video lectures platform so you should expect to spend some non negligible time on learning and editing videos.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Lori,

I am confident that 98% of instructors are amateurs at video production. All of my courses are talking head videos, but with graphics to one side of me. Take a look at the previews to my New Manager or my most recent Consultative Selling Skills courses. They are selling well and getting pretty good ratings. 

There is no question that there are several learning curves for most of us. One is the video production and you will find lots of discussion of how to use good lighting, editing, etc. here. The other learning curve is the marketing side. You can trust that most of us started with little or no knowledge about both of these. Consider this the challenge, the game, the fun part of this endeavor. You can do it.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors