Course Style-Creation for online platforms: Personal Thoughts.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Course Style-Creation for online platforms: Personal Thoughts.

Go to solution

Hello Community Members and Instructors,
 I like to shed some lights on Course creation for Online style teaching, as in Udemy and in similar other platforms.

I have taught, for over three decades, in person at a prestigious University in Washington , D.C. , USA. Teaching is my profession and I do enjoy do it, however we need to keep in mind that teaching in person, with you in a room with students in front of you is totally different from teaching online with students via zoom, Cisco WebEx, Google Meet or Microsoft Teams and other applications, you still can see the students, the students can see you, however it is limited vision, for it lacks the main component of the body language view for both the teacher and the students, when teaching in person in a physical room with students in the same room, the lecture content, the voice, the talk content, the body language , all are dynamic and change swiftly minute y minute during the lecture, to engage students, I can easily spot when/where the students are either  following, lost, bored, or need to slow down or speed up the lecture delivery, Now contrast these two teaching styles with full presence of the students in the physical room, to a limited presence of the students in a virtual room via video, to the third style of teaching as in Udemy, audacity, coursera, edx and others, where THE LECTURE IS REALLY A FANCY MESSAGE OR NOTE LEFT in the we cloud, well is is a video message left in cloud, with zero dynamic at the same time instructor/learner interaction, the instructor has no idea how the lecture went minute y minute with his/her students, it is a like leaving a voice mail on a phone, the students will respond, if they do or can, to the instructor left messages, if any left, or understood y the students;

My point, is Udemy course creation styles must look at imitating how a course is taught in a physical classroom with students in a physical room,  not students taking the course online or worst yet offline, in effort to create quality courses for the students taking a Udemy course are still expecting the course to look like the other courses they took in school with a professor in front of them.

It is not too much about marketing a course, it is mainly about how to imitate a course taught in person y a professor in front of real students in the same room.

Best regards,

Ahmed Jendoubi, Ph.D.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi @Ahmed_Jendoubi,

Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts. I totally understand what you mean - teaching online is a whole different ball game compared to teaching in person.  Creating courses that imitate a physical classroom with real students is a great way to engage and connect with online learners. By incorporating interactive elements and encouraging participation, instructors can create a dynamic and engaging learning experience that mirrors in-person teaching.

Thanks again for sharing your insights with the community! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi @Ahmed_Jendoubi,

Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts. I totally understand what you mean - teaching online is a whole different ball game compared to teaching in person.  Creating courses that imitate a physical classroom with real students is a great way to engage and connect with online learners. By incorporating interactive elements and encouraging participation, instructors can create a dynamic and engaging learning experience that mirrors in-person teaching.

Thanks again for sharing your insights with the community! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community 

Go to solution

Thank you Bella, @Bella 

You are always encouraging all of us,

You are always answering all of us with kind words, 

You are always a cheering all of us,

You are the champion, indeed!!!

Million thank you Bella, and I do mean it,

Best regards,

Ahmed Jendoubi, Ph.D.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!