Creating a long course in a technical subject

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a long course in a technical subject

I created and taught a 720-hour course in electronics and computer technology at a brick-and-mortar school. I developed everything including my own textbooks and I own all of the rights to the materials. After teaching the course for more than a decade with an 81% job placement rate for my students, the school decided to drop the course in favor of more lucrative short seminar courses.

Looking for somewhere else to teach my course I found that vocational schools and community colleges have been dropping and curtailing their courses in electronics technology. The Electronics Technicians Association told me that this is a national trend leading to a critical shortage of electronics technicians. They encouraged me to put my course online.

I created a website (rsdacademy.net) where students can read the textbooks online and take exams for free. I also have over 150 lecture videos on YouTube. I have over 60,000 subscribers to my channel, nearly 150 patrons on Patreon, and over 2,500 students signed up at the website. My video lectures aren't fancy, just me at a whiteboard, but I have built a loyal following and a reputation for my unique style of explaining high technology.

I have decided to explore moving my course over to Udemy. I need to know if such a long course is a good fit for Udenmy. If so, how would how should I modify the course to make it work best?

Bob DuHamel

1 Reply

A 720-hour course is way too long I believe. I am not sure, but I would guess that average course length on Udemy would be about 12 hours. I have seen a few Digital Marketing and Coding courses run for 50-70 hours. 
So, if you can compartmentalize your courses into blocks of 50 hours each, I think that would be a good start. The tricky part here will be to bring every course to a logical end, and to start every course from a logical beginning that would make sense to the users even if they have not gone through the previous courses. Else, you can name the courses as part-I, part-II and so on.

Every course must have a great course intro video, that is designed to persuade learners to join in.

Also, this is very important. Sales is mostly topic driven. A great course on Machine learning will generate huge sales, while a super-great course on an obscure topic may not generate sales. So, if you can sell your content on the topic that already has a big student base on Udemy, that will be great. You will find stats on the popularity of topics inside Udemy's marketplace insights.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors