Creating a paid udemy course based on a Youtube channel

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a paid udemy course based on a Youtube channel

I have a youtube channel with animated maths videos that I have created, and I would like to create some Udemy courses covering similar topics.

The Youtube videos are typically about 5 minutes, and I would expect each course to be the equivalent of 10 to 20 of those videos.

I know I can't just use the Youtube videos because you aren't allowed to charge for a Udemy course if the material is available for free elsewhere.

I just wondered, how different does the course need to be? The existing descriptions and animations are the best way I can explain the topics.

Is it sufficient to reword the voiceover and change the appearance of the videos while keeping the same animations and concepts? Maybe add some extra videos and downloadable content too?

I'm not trying to game the system, but equally I don't want to change everything so much that it becomes less useful than the original.

1 Reply
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @martinmcbride Udemy policy has restrictions around duplicate content and we've also found that courses with a substantial amount of overlap create a lot of dissatisfaction amongst students. It can be difficult to find the right course when many feature identical content.

To preserve the marketplace experience and ensure student satisfaction, we recommend at least half of every course must be totally original to that course. The less overlap between your classes, the better. Please use your best judgment to deliver a unique, valuable course that will teach students something new. If you still have specific questions about this, please send an email to our Trust & Safety team at policy@udemy.com 

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors