Don't Make Your First course Free. New Free Courses Are Not Getting Students

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Make Your First course Free. New Free Courses Are Not Getting Students

Hi there,

I am a new instructor on Udemy. But i am late! I am so much disapponted to see that new free courses on Udemy is not getting much students. I was researching and trying to find out other new instructor first free course and i got very bad result. Udemy must have changed the algorithm. Here is an instructor that you can see "https://www.udemy.com/user/pronoy-11/" He published his first free course 1 week ago but got only 100 free students.

I am not going to make courses on Udemy anymore! Because what's the point? After working hard i will get very few students. Good Luck old instructor...

55 Replies

Hi all,

I do not know if my opinion counts, I have signed up to loads of free courses and paid ones also. I am like a sponge and enjoy most topics. I strongly believe it just depends on what you are looking for and the price structure. I have noticed the same courses can differ significantly in price. I have also read that by offering free courses it can help boost students but more so when you have multiple courses, alittle like sign posting to your other courses. Also I have taken taster free courses and full free courses. Udemy is a platform and I am not sure it is about standing out as much is it about the student the looking for a course. 

Hi. I just published my first course and I put it up on Udemy for free at first despite warnings not to do so. My course is on English idioms and I didn't know what to expect. Didn't even research if it was in demand or not. I was amazed to get 1737 enrollees after three days! That led to some people actually buying because of the positive reviews. So I'm guessing you're in this situation of disappointment because:

1. You didn't offer enough FREE videos to get the student acquainted with you

2. You picked an already saturated topic that has loads of awesome videos taught by awesome instructors

3. Video quality is bad 

4. No ratings and no reviews

I have yet to make my first 1000 USD on Udemy but I continue to think about it as a school project. I feel like I'm making reports for school and getting paid for it. Not a bad deal. We are still so early on in our journey to expect so much. Goodluck though. Hang in there. 

That's the right attitude. No one knows "the formula" for doing well on Udemy, because there are so many different paths to success. As far as I can tell, being patient and persistent is the common denominator behind every successful instructor. Also, I think free courses are great 😉

I recently published a course for free and I'm a new instructor. Within 48 hrs, got 2565 students

Congratulations @JackieOwen288  on your new course! Free courses are always a great idea to get new students :)! Keep the great work. 

Manuel Su
Community Moderator. 

I disagree. I'm a new instructor and within my first 4 days of posting my first and free course I am up to 276 new students enrolled. And this is without any marketing. Success depends on the course content and who the possible target market is. WE are responsible for whatever success or not we experience with any course we've created. Good luck.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!