Exclusivity

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exclusivity

Hi everybody! I am preparing my first Udemy course. One question: Is it acceptable to publish a course whose content has been published (by me of course) as a book on Amazon? Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Replies
Ramesh Fadatare
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes. As long you own the content, you can create the courses on those content.

That's correct! On Udemy, instructors have the opportunity to create courses based on their own content, expertise, and knowledge. If you own the rights to the content you want to teach, you can develop and publish courses on a wide range of topics.

AARPMedicare

@ElefteriaMa287 the exclusivity with your content is if you opt into Udemy for Business, and the course is accepted, then the course is exclusive to Udemy, and cannot be sold in another competitors platform. The material is yours, and you can do what you want with it on your own site, and to publish a book. 

โ€œBy opting into the Udemy Business Program, you give Udemy the ability to select your content for inclusion in the Udemy Business Collection. You also agree that, if your course is selected for inclusion, you will not begin to offer any equivalent on-demand content on any competitor site or platform โœ…other than your own.โ€ https://www.udemy.com/user/edit-promotional-agreements/

Simple question: When I publish my course on Udemy, am I free to publish the same course (regardless of its format: video, book etc) on other platforms? "Manage Promotional Agreements Instructor Terms When you sign up to become an instructor on the Udemy platform, you agree to abide by the Instructor Terms. They cover details about the Udemy platform that are relevant to instructors (including pricing, payments, and your obligations as an instructor), so itโ€™s important to read them. I have read and agree to the Udemy Instructor Terms. Udemyโ€™s Promotional Programs Udemy offers several optional marketing programs in which you can choose to participate. These programs can help increase your revenue potential on Udemy by finding the optimal price point for your content and promoting it through additional marketing channels. There is no up-front cost to participate in these programs, and you can modify your participation status at any time. However, changes you make will not apply to currently active campaigns. These programs are subject to the terms of our Promotions Policy, so you should read it carefully. Deals Program Millions of students enroll in courses each year through the Udemy Deals Program. Participation can increase your revenue potential by enabling Udemy to offer your content at a compelling discount via targeted promotions. The Deals Program allows Udemy to offer your content for a price no lower than $9.99 USD (or local equivalent) except in select countries or to certain resellers. It also allows Udemy to optimize your list price in different markets. I have read and agree to the Promotions Policy terms for the Udemy Deals Program. Udemy Business Program The Udemy Business Collection is a subscription-based content collection available to business customers, featuring a select group of Udemyโ€™s top content for professional and personal development skills. By opting into the Udemy Business Program, you give Udemy the ability to select your content for inclusion in the Udemy Business Collection. You also agree that, if your course is selected for inclusion, you will not begin to offer any equivalent on-demand content on any competitor site or platform other than your own. I have read and agree to the Promotions Policy terms for the Udemy Business Program. Note that opting into these programs does not guarantee participation."

ChatGPT

Based on the information you provided:

1. Udemy Instructor Terms: This section doesn't seem to specify any exclusivity concerning where you can publish your content. It mainly talks about the terms relevant to instructors on the platform, such as pricing, payments, and other obligations. You should make sure to read the full Instructor Terms to confirm any details related to content exclusivity.

2. Udemyโ€™s Promotional Programs: This section explains the marketing programs that Udemy offers. It doesn't appear to impose any restrictions on where you can publish your content.

3. Deals Program: While this program allows Udemy to offer your content at a discounted rate and to adjust the list price in different markets, it doesnโ€™t seem to restrict you from publishing the same course on other platforms.

4. Udemy Business Program: This section does have an exclusivity clause. If you opt into the Udemy Business Program and if your course is selected for inclusion in the Udemy Business Collection, you agree that you will not offer any equivalent on-demand content on any competitor site or platform other than your own. This means that if your course is part of the Udemy Business Collection, you can't publish the same or very similar content on other platforms like Coursera, Skillshare, etc. However, you are still free to publish it on your own personal website or platform.

In conclusion, you're generally free to publish your course on other platforms unless it's included in the Udemy Business Collection. If it is, then you can't publish similar content on other competing platforms, but you can on your own personal site. Always consult the full terms and conditions or seek legal advice to ensure you understand and are compliant with all of Udemy's terms.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors