First-Time Course Creation: Need Suggestions for Getting Started

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First-Time Course Creation: Need Suggestions for Getting Started

Go to solution

Hello Udemy Community,

I am Iftekhar, embarking on my journey to create my first course on the Udemy platform. As a newbie, I am seeking your advice and guidance to help me through this process.

I have a concept in mind, and I am passionate about my field, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed about where to start and how to structure my course to provide maximum value to my potential students.

In particular, I'm curious about:

1. Best practices for outlining the course content: How detailed should it be, and how can I ensure it is coherent and engaging?
  2. Tips for recording video lectures: What kind of equipment do you recommend for beginners? How can I ensure good audio and video quality?
  3. Suggestions for effectively engaging with students: How can I foster a positive learning environment and maintain student engagement throughout the course?
  4. Any other advice or resources that helped you when you were just starting out?

I understand that creating an effective and engaging course takes time, effort, and continuous learning. I am eager to hear your experiences, lessons learned, and recommendations.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Iftekhar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hello @Iftekhar756,

Welcome to the Udemy family and congratulations on embarking on this exciting journey! We at Team AITCD, like you, are also relatively new course creators on the platform, so we can understand the questions and uncertainties that you might be facing right now.

Let's address your queries one by one:

1. Outlining Course Content: Start with a basic course structure in mind, broadly defining the sections you want to cover. From there, expand each section into individual lectures, making sure each one focuses on a specific concept or idea. The key here is to ensure that each lecture can stand alone but also contributes to the overall goal of the course. Udemy's Course Quality Checklist is a great resource to ensure that your course meets all quality standards.

2. Recording Video Lectures: When starting, you don't need to invest heavily in equipment. A smartphone with a good camera and a tripod can suffice for video recording, while a USB microphone can ensure clear audio. Natural lighting is preferable for video, but you can also consider getting an affordable ring light. Remember, the content is king. As long as you're providing valuable insights and teaching with enthusiasm, students will appreciate your course.

3. Engaging with Students: To maintain engagement throughout the course, encourage students to participate in the Q&A section, provide supplemental materials or quizzes after each section, and be responsive to student inquiries. Also, consider creating a community outside Udemy (like a Facebook group or a Slack channel) where students can interact with each other and you.

4. Additional Tips: We highly recommend taking the official Udemy course "How to Create an Online Course." It gives you valuable insights into the course creation process from start to finish.

Lastly, remember to stay patient and persistent. Creating a course is indeed a journey that requires time and effort, but the results are incredibly rewarding.

All the best!

Team AITCD

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Go to solution

Hello @Iftekhar756,

Welcome to the Udemy family and congratulations on embarking on this exciting journey! We at Team AITCD, like you, are also relatively new course creators on the platform, so we can understand the questions and uncertainties that you might be facing right now.

Let's address your queries one by one:

1. Outlining Course Content: Start with a basic course structure in mind, broadly defining the sections you want to cover. From there, expand each section into individual lectures, making sure each one focuses on a specific concept or idea. The key here is to ensure that each lecture can stand alone but also contributes to the overall goal of the course. Udemy's Course Quality Checklist is a great resource to ensure that your course meets all quality standards.

2. Recording Video Lectures: When starting, you don't need to invest heavily in equipment. A smartphone with a good camera and a tripod can suffice for video recording, while a USB microphone can ensure clear audio. Natural lighting is preferable for video, but you can also consider getting an affordable ring light. Remember, the content is king. As long as you're providing valuable insights and teaching with enthusiasm, students will appreciate your course.

3. Engaging with Students: To maintain engagement throughout the course, encourage students to participate in the Q&A section, provide supplemental materials or quizzes after each section, and be responsive to student inquiries. Also, consider creating a community outside Udemy (like a Facebook group or a Slack channel) where students can interact with each other and you.

4. Additional Tips: We highly recommend taking the official Udemy course "How to Create an Online Course." It gives you valuable insights into the course creation process from start to finish.

Lastly, remember to stay patient and persistent. Creating a course is indeed a journey that requires time and effort, but the results are incredibly rewarding.

All the best!

Team AITCD

Go to solution

Great Ideas @AITCD !

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors