First course too short?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First course too short?

Hello, everyone

Two questions:

1. I've just submitted my first course for review. It's 30 minutes in duration and only covers one topic. I'm teaching intermediate English learners and thought that perhaps I should start small so as not to bombard them with lessons. Now I'm wondering whether I've done the right thing. Should I have made my first course longer?   I obviously intend to continue with courses and personally feel that for this language grade I shouldn't do too much at a time.
  2. I notice most English courses on Udemy is quite long and has many sections, some up to 70 sections in one course. I would like to know whether these have been uploaded all at one time or do these tutors add to their courses (as per "updated" dates)?  Are courses by one particular tutor added as separate courses or is it added to the current course running?

I would appreciate any help / replies to above.

Thank you

Noleen

6 Replies
AnupShukla
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @NoleenDaya 

First course, or next course or any course in the marketplace, don't worry too much about the duration of the course. There are learners who prefer short courses, and there are learners who want masterclasses. As long as you teach what you wanted to teach in the course, it should be fine. 

Instructors keep on updating their courses as required. As an instructor on technical courses, I have to update my courses quite frequently.

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply.

You've put my mind at ease.

Regards, Noleen😊

One the first point I agree with Anup - different folks will be attracted to, or do better with, shorter (or longer... or middle-length) content. As long as you feel you've covered the topic and provided a good learner experience length (almost) doesn't matter.

I haven't yet added a lot of content to my courses. Honestly I'm still watching the feedback to see what people say, but I do have some ideas for a few of them (mainly adding shorter courses on background information, or things I mention, but don't dig into, in the course).

Hi Robert

Thank you for your input. I feel confident I am giving prospective students a good learning experience as well as covering my course adequately.

I will see how it goes and hope students like it.

Regards

Noleen

Hey Noleen! Congrats on submitting your first course and welcome to the community! One way I like to gauge the length of my course is "Do you feel that the value you provided outweighs the price people are paying" This will translate when you are promoting your course because when you promote your course you will have a different vibe or energy when promoting it because you KNOW the value of it. Take my last course for example, I recorded 20 hours but I wanted to exceed the value I was giving and I added a whole other section of 20 more hours before publishing. Now this can be a bit long HOWEVER, I KNOW the value of it and when I speak to students about it there is no doubt in my mind how they will benefit from it and that there is no reason they should not get it 😜 Now of course your course doesn't have to be that long but maybe at 30 minutes you already feel that it is great value or maybe if it was 2-5 hours you would feel "This is good value that people will get" Hope this helps! Again it's one of the metrics I use for my course length, "How do I feel about the value that I have packed into the course?" Have a great one and keep it up!

Hi Alex

Thank you for your congratulations and your input. I appreciate it very much.

Regards,

Noleen

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors