Help Needed In Filling W-8BEN-E Tax Form

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed In Filling W-8BEN-E Tax Form

Go to solution

Hi, We are a  firm from India. I see W-8BEN-E is suitable form for us. I would like to know anyone from India has experience filling in the form.

We are not sure what to select in Treaty Claim statement.. for the section "Please select the applicable Limitation on Benefits provision under which you are eligible for benefits (see instructions). Note that the dropdown below is an exhaustive list; your country's tax treaty may not include all provisions. "

Screenshot from 2021-09-15 13-42-32.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Rahul Iyer
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Tekianaio537,

I am based in India and I can share what I had selected to update my tax form. It looks like you are applying as an organization. I had also applied as an organization and selected "Company with an item of income that meets active trade or business test." It worked fine.

Disclaimer: Before selecting this option, I had sought its validity from my local CA. I would suggest you do the same. After completing these formalities, the US withholding tax reduces from 30% to 15% for Indians. Also, the withholding tax is only applicable for sales made in the U.S.

Further, India has a Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) with the U.S. In this, if you are taxed in the U.S., you need not pay that much amount in India as taxes. You can get tax relief. To gain these benefits, you will be required to submit all of your Udemy income statement to your CA and he will take those reliefs for you when filing the IT returns or paying quarterly taxes.

Hope this helps.

🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @Tekianaio537 For instructors who are looking to make a treaty claim on their W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E forms, certain information is required:

• You must be a resident in a country that has negotiated a tax treaty with the United States (you can see the recent list here).
  • You must enter a valid Tax Identification Number (either a foreign TIN or a US-issued TIN) on your form.
  • You must indicate that you are claiming the treaty rate on the “Treaty claim statement” page of the form submission process.
  • If you are filing as a business entity, you must also specify which “limitation on benefits” provision you qualify under, based on the ones named in your country’s tax treaty. These provisions detail which types of businesses are eligible for the lower rate. You can find more information about LOB provisions here.

Unfortunately, we are unable to answer your question as that would be considered tax advice. I highly recommend reaching out to a local tax expert for help. You can also click the informational buttons on the platform to get a further explanation about a certain phrase or section.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Tekianaio537,

I am based in India and I can share what I had selected to update my tax form. It looks like you are applying as an organization. I had also applied as an organization and selected "Company with an item of income that meets active trade or business test." It worked fine.

Disclaimer: Before selecting this option, I had sought its validity from my local CA. I would suggest you do the same. After completing these formalities, the US withholding tax reduces from 30% to 15% for Indians. Also, the withholding tax is only applicable for sales made in the U.S.

Further, India has a Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) with the U.S. In this, if you are taxed in the U.S., you need not pay that much amount in India as taxes. You can get tax relief. To gain these benefits, you will be required to submit all of your Udemy income statement to your CA and he will take those reliefs for you when filing the IT returns or paying quarterly taxes.

Hope this helps.

🙂

Go to solution

Hi Rahul, Thanks for your reply.  If you can share further steps as well , it would be very helpful.Screenshot from 2021-10-05 10-22-22.png

Go to solution

Hello everyone. I need some help with tax form. muammo_tax.png

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors