How does Udemy course pricing and sales work?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Udemy course pricing and sales work?

I am a relatively new instructor with only two courses so far and one of the courses I have is about cutting-edge technology and is in high demand from the day one. It actually is a "best seller" since its second week of launching. I have set the price for that course at $199. It's been a few months and I have over 300 sales but hardly any sale is over $15 or so, and my revenue ranges between $1 and $6, mostly under $3, for each sale. Even when someone buys through my coupon links with 50% discount, Udemy discounts it further for them and they buy it for like $10 or so. 

How does the pricing work? I thought we could set our prices. Am I missing something? Am I unknowingly registered into some kind of agreement or program with Udemy that is causing this? If so can I opt out?  I presume Udemy is advertising the course to get as much sale as possible but why at such a low price when the course is in high demand.

Is there a way that we could a set a minimum price for the course so Udemy cannot sell it below that price? Any information to understand this is highly appreciated.

1 Reply

Hey @AsifKhawaja ,glad to clarify here:

Depending on how the student accessed your course, your revenue will be different. 

If you opted into promotions, your course will be sold at a low price if it has been included in a promotion sale. You can check by going to your payout settings and clicking on promotional agreements. This article has more information.

-If the students enrolled in your course by clicking on a link you have shared in your social media or blogs you will get 97% of the revenue.
-If the student found your course from our search engine or by just navigating our platform you will get 50% of the revenue.
-If the student accessed your course by clicking on a link from our 3rd party marketing sites (affiliates) you get 25% of the revenue.

-On In-App Purchases: For sales on the Udemy iOS and Android apps, Apple and Google charge a 30% fee on the total sale.

You can see a breakdown of each sale by going to your revenue report

Hope this helps!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!