How does Udemy help to promote the first course?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Udemy help to promote the first course?

Go to solution

Hi, I have created the first course about using ChatGPT and API stuff and onboarded this mysterious journey. 

However, I've found that despite participating in the Udemy Deal program, there are almost a thousand courses about ChatGPT released, in which only a few got the chance to be on the first page of the search.

I can imagine that as a normal user, it is almost impossible to ever locate my course even though I believe mine has its edge among all the similar ones.

I wonder how Udemy helps to overcome this cold-start program, is it all on the instructor itself to find means to promote the course?

Thanks in advance for any kind response that could help to resolve my confusions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

@JeremyZhang955 -

I saw you have created so many courses, how did you solve the cold-start problem at the beginning?

Mostly by being patient. My first couple months I may have made $20. And, even though I was in a fairly crowded market, most of my initial courses offered something no other instructors were offering. So, they were somewhat unique, in a crowded space. Almost 4 years, 30 courses and 6,000+ students later, I have carved out a niche and do fairly well. At least compared to the average instructor. I'm able to average $150 - $300 per month just in self promotions where we get to keep 97% of the proceeds. 

Regarding ChatGPT - If you think about it about the only thing you can really focus on is prompting. So, almost all the courses on GPT focus on prompt engineering, as they should. But, it makes it really hard to differentiate yourself. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Go to solution

Hey Jeremy

When you put your first course up, it is really up to you to promote it using your promotion links. Share it to your connections on Twitter, LinkedIn YouTube etc. 

Maybe share a free version of your course to get people into the course and get reviews. 

Also check what ranks first and use your ChatGPT skills to outperform the top ranking courses. 

It is hard to get started, but it is worth it. 

Go to solution

Hi, @PaulOgier 

Thanks for the response. Do you have any common promotional ways that have worked out for you in the past?

Go to solution

Hi @JeremyZhang955 - The cold hard fact is that it is REALLY hard for most new courses to gain traction on Udemy, especially in a hot area like GPT. There are already many, many courses on this topic and Udemy is going to promote the ones that sell well and are rated the highest. It is extremely unlikely Udemy will promote your course, at least initially. You will have to do that yourself until you get enough sales and ratings (4.5 or higher) so that Udemy notices.

BTW, I was seriously considering creating a course on ChatGPT and Bard. However, there are simply too many courses already existing, that are very highly rated. I felt like I would be wasting my time. 

Go to solution

Yeah, I didn't picture that all these courses are emerging so fast.

Go to solution

Hi, @RandyMinder besides, I saw you have created so many courses, how did you solve the cold-start problem at the beginning?

Go to solution

@JeremyZhang955 -

I saw you have created so many courses, how did you solve the cold-start problem at the beginning?

Mostly by being patient. My first couple months I may have made $20. And, even though I was in a fairly crowded market, most of my initial courses offered something no other instructors were offering. So, they were somewhat unique, in a crowded space. Almost 4 years, 30 courses and 6,000+ students later, I have carved out a niche and do fairly well. At least compared to the average instructor. I'm able to average $150 - $300 per month just in self promotions where we get to keep 97% of the proceeds. 

Regarding ChatGPT - If you think about it about the only thing you can really focus on is prompting. So, almost all the courses on GPT focus on prompt engineering, as they should. But, it makes it really hard to differentiate yourself. 

Go to solution

thanks a lot, man. That sounds inspiring. Do you start YouTube channel or something? What has been the most efficient self-promoting way for you?

Go to solution

@JeremyZhang955 you created your first course and ONLY then you realized there are already a thousand courses on ChatGPT?

The number one rule of business is to do market research before even considering launching a product.

Udemy does promote your course in the first 60 days after it's been published. It gives it a boost to appear in Udemy Insights and also sometimes on the first page of search for your topic

However, as you can imagine, with hundreds of new courses on this topic, I don't know how many eyeballs your course will get.

Go to solution

lol, thanks, man. I am actually one of your course students, it is nice to interact with you.

Go to solution

The pleasure is mine, @JeremyZhang955. Welcome to the instructor community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors