How does the price system works?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the price system works?

Hello everybody. I've started uploading my very first course but I do not understand how the pricing system works: is it possible to me to change the price of the course after it has been published? I'd like to offer it for 9,99 until I receive some reviews (I hope good reviews) and then increase the price.

Second question, how does the discount system of Udemy works? If I remember well, I accepted that Udemy changes the price temporarily for a better selling, but I'd like to understand more.

Thank you for your support

8 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @EffeYes, you can change the course price after published, the range for you to change the price is from $20- $200. The price of $9.99 is only set after a discount for Udemy's major markets in their principal currency. 

When instructors opt into Udemy's Deals program, their courses are marketed through various channels to reach potential students. Some of these channels include:

• Udemy's website and mobile app: Courses on sale are prominently featured on the Udemy website and mobile app. Students can easily browse and discover courses on sale through these platforms.
  • Udemy's email campaigns: Udemy regularly sends promotional emails to its student base highlighting courses that are on sale. Instructors who have opted into the Deals program may have their courses featured in these emails.
  • Social media: Udemy also promotes courses on sale through its social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
  • Third-party partners: Udemy partners with various third-party websites and platforms to promote courses on sale to their audiences.

The goal of these promotions is to help instructors attract more students to their courses and to offer students an opportunity to enroll in high-quality courses at discounted prices. If you have questions, please feel free to submit a request through the  Instructor Support team.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

Hello @ElianaC,

Thank you for your clear and detailed explanation of Udemy's pricing system and the Deals program. It's reassuring to know that there is flexibility in the course pricing, as well as numerous opportunities for course promotion.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated. 

Best,
Team AITCD

Great post!

@Effe wrote:

Hello everybody. I've started uploading my very first course but I do not understand how the pricing system works: is it possible to me to change the price of the course after it has been published? I'd like to offer it for 9,99 until I receive some reviews (I hope good reviews) and then increase the price.

Second question, how does the discount system of Udemy works? If I remember well, I accepted that Udemy changes the price temporarily for a better selling, but I'd like to understand more.

Thank you for your support

Hello,

As an instructor on Udemy, You have control over the pricing of your courses, and yes, you can change the price of your course after it has been published. Here's how the pricing system work on Udemy. 

It's a common strategy for instructor to launch their course at a lower price initially to attract more student and gather positive reviews. As the course  gains momentum and positive feedback, Some Instructors raise the price gradually. 

Hello @Effe,

Welcome to the community, and congratulations on uploading your first course!

To answer your first question, yes, you can change the price of your course after it has been published. As per Udemy's guidelines, you can set a course price anywhere between $20 and $200.

The discounted price of $9.99 that you see for many courses is typically set after instructors have opted into Udemy's Deals Program, which provides promotions to help attract more students.

As for your second question, the Deals Program allows Udemy to temporarily reduce the course price to make it more appealing to potential students.

When you opt into the program, Udemy markets your course through various channels, including:

1. Udemy's Website and Mobile App: Promoted courses are featured on Udemy's website and mobile app, allowing students to discover discounted courses easily.

2. Email Campaigns: Udemy sends promotional emails to its students highlighting on-sale courses. Your course could potentially be featured in these campaigns.

3. Social Media: Udemy also promotes discounted courses through its social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

4. Third-Party Partners: Udemy partners with other websites and platforms to promote discounted courses to their audiences.

These promotions aim to assist instructors in attracting more students to their courses while providing learners with the opportunity to enroll in high-quality courses at reduced prices.

It's worth mentioning that once you have accrued some good reviews and want to raise the price, you can do so. However, remember that it's the value you provide in your course, not just the price, that attracts students.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out to the Instructor Support team. They are here to help!

Best of luck with your new course!

Best regards,

Team AITCD

Thank you @Effe@ElianaC  & @AITCD for sharing your ideas.

You are most welcome, @Iftekhar756 

I also want to know about this.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors