How much should we offer a course for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much should we offer a course for?

I just submited a free course. First time! Not sure if that was the best idea. I read some comments previously that it might help me get more people to take my class in the beginning if I offer it for free. I'm now learning maybe offering free coupons to people might have been a better choice!? Oh well, it's submitted already. For free.

So I'm planning on getting my next course up and running within 2 weeks. Once it's ready to go, how do I know how much to offer it for?  I do know I'd like to set up coupons that I can offer to my own follwers seperately (and to get paid more for those of my people who take it),  but of course I'd also like to have Udemy advertise for it as well. 

Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!

3 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

If you're turning around and producing your second course this quickly, then personally I think offering your first course for free wasn't a bad idea. In some ways, offering it for free on Udemy is better than distributing tons of free coupons all over the Internet. The latter approach tends to attract people who just hoard free stuff, even if they aren't interested in it. But if someone discovers your course while searching for something on Udemy, at least they have some interest in what you're teaching. They'll be more likely to "get it," have a positive experience, and leave a positive review - at least compared to some random person who found a free coupon on a free coupon site.

So the plan would be to create a final, "bonus lecture" in that free course that promotes your second, not-free course. If a student makes it to that final lecture, they must like what you're doing to some extent - and they'll be likely to purchase a follow-on course you've produced if you put it in front of them. Your first course becomes an automatic lead magnet for the second. This is exactly how I got started.

As for pricing - well, list prices don't matter much in Udemy's current system, as students know courses will go on sale for $10-$19. I just set my list price consistently with other courses in my topic of similar length. But you will need to choose a price for the coupon to your second course that you'll offer in that bonus lecture of the first. Again, students know that if they wait long enough, they can get your course for $9.99 - so I set my coupons at $9.99. I'd rather get 97% of $9.99 through my instructor coupon through that impulse purchase, than for them to wait for the next big Udemy sale, when I'll only get 50% at best.

DeniseFletcher
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @CarrieFernandez Congratulations on the new course - remember you can change this course to paid if you want to although it will go through review again. However as @FrankKane says if you have the 2nd course following very soon then it may be ok to have your free course if  you get your bonus lecture sorted. When pricing your new course you will need to consider what the competition are pricing their courses for and things like how long your course is, what social proof your course has, student numbers etc. There will be no point pricing your course at $199 if it is 30mins long if your competition has courses that are 4 hours long for $99. Students do like to get value for money even when mostly they will be paying $10 for your course. If you overprice your course students may then review the course lower even when they have only paid the $10. Arghhhhhh! Good Luck with the course. Here's a link that you might find useful. https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229605368-Pricing-Your-Course

Thanks so much. I'll check out the link! Much appreciated!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors