How to create my first course and which type of subjects to choose

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create my first course and which type of subjects to choose

Hey.. I am Muskaan Sachdeva from chandigarh. Actually i am a teacher and i take tuitions at home. I've also cleared UGC NET and now planning to create a course on udemy. Can you please guide me as to how to do that and what kind of subjects can i choose?

I'll be really grateful. 

Thankyou

2 Replies

Hey @Muskaan1414 , welcome to the community! 

Our minimum requirements for a course is that it contain at least 30 minutes of video content contained within at least 5 lectures.

Here are some great resources regarding course creation:

Course Quality Checklist

Teaching Center

How to Become an Instructor: FAQ

Wistia Course Creation Compilation

You can use the marketplace insights tool to see the demand and topics available for you to teach! You can find this here.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi @Muskaan1414 - From my experience, there are four huge mistakes most new instructors make:

1. They don't research how many courses already exist for the topic they want to create a course around. It is VERY difficult to find a topic on Udemy that doesn't already have dozens of courses already created. Therefore, it is very difficult for any new instructor to get noticed.
  2. If you intend to create a course in English, for English speaking students, make sure your potential students can understand you. A thick accent will turn away many students. If I struggle to understand the instructor, I will not purchase the course or I will get a refund.
  3. They price their course too high. Most Udemy students are not accustomed to paying more than $10-$15 for a course, and, then, only when the course is on sale. 
  4. They don't realize that Udemy is a volume business. Udemy makes money by selling lots of courses very cheaply. Therefore, don't expect to earn very much. On average you will only earn $1-$5 for every sale. And it can often be less than $1. Are you willing to spend a month or more to create a course and make $1 when a student buys your course?
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors