How to stay motivated during course creation procedure?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stay motivated during course creation procedure?

Go to solution

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

It can be difficult from time to time to stay motivated but think about all the future students you will help with your course. It might seem like a gigantic task to create an entire course so create a little checklist of all the things you have to do and tackle one after the other. I also like to mix it up by just doing different tasks throughout the process. Like creating slides, then recording, then editing, then creating slides again and starting the process. It helps with the daunting task like editing which can take a long time. 

Best of luck to you. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

View solution in original post

Go to solution

This is one of the hardest parts I find to building the courses.

I break apart the process in manageble chunks then set my weekly schedule to accomplish them.  

I have courses that have taken sometimes 6 months or longer to build and the task tracking has kept me one track.

Digital Course Creator - Happy to connect with other instructors

Go to solution

Hi,

My key tips are:

1. careful planning
  2. breaking down tasks into sizeable chunks
  3. scheduling

As they say, 90% of the work is preperation. If you've planned your course well, then, like a jigsaw, it will all form together nicely. 

I spend most of my time planning the course sections and lectures within those sections. I gain an idea of what I want to cover and then I bullet point key points. I then (since my courses are technical) plan the code that's to be used during the lectures. 

Once happy with the planning, I start creating content by recording videos. I then place these draft videos into a depository before editing them to a finalised version.

If I take a step back and look at all the tasks ahead, it would be like looking at a moutain of work. To avoid this, I schedule by outstanding tasks and then schedule time each day week-by-week to clearly state what I want to achieve and devote time doing it.

Bit by bit you will complete lectures and sections. By the end of the schedule you'll have next to a perfect course that has been well formed and designed.

As they say, each journey starts with a single step. The motivation for me is finding out if my course is going to be successful. People I'm sure will say it's mostly about helping people (for which it plays a big part) but money is also a motivator. Some courses (if done right) could make considerable amounts each month.  For me it's 50/50. 50% helping people and 50% to provide a new source of income (yes, I'm being very honest - but hey, we've got to live, right? 😉)

Finally, I would say that hard work pays off. Many people spend time after work watching tv, playing games etc. Some of us (especially on this instructors board) make use of our spare time and from that everyone's a winner. It takes devotion and effort but remember the pain of it all is only temporary.

Keep motivated!

Gianni

9 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

It can be difficult from time to time to stay motivated but think about all the future students you will help with your course. It might seem like a gigantic task to create an entire course so create a little checklist of all the things you have to do and tackle one after the other. I also like to mix it up by just doing different tasks throughout the process. Like creating slides, then recording, then editing, then creating slides again and starting the process. It helps with the daunting task like editing which can take a long time. 

Best of luck to you. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Go to solution

What helps me to stay motivated is knowing that I will be added value to at least one person. Also, in the building process, I usually like to try something new that I have never done before so it makes it to be fun as well. Lastly, just talking with friends and family where I am at with the building journey and they adding value to me with their thoughts on the course.

Continue to keep building!

Go to solution

This is one of the hardest parts I find to building the courses.

I break apart the process in manageble chunks then set my weekly schedule to accomplish them.  

I have courses that have taken sometimes 6 months or longer to build and the task tracking has kept me one track.

Go to solution

Hi,

My key tips are:

1. careful planning
  2. breaking down tasks into sizeable chunks
  3. scheduling

As they say, 90% of the work is preperation. If you've planned your course well, then, like a jigsaw, it will all form together nicely. 

I spend most of my time planning the course sections and lectures within those sections. I gain an idea of what I want to cover and then I bullet point key points. I then (since my courses are technical) plan the code that's to be used during the lectures. 

Once happy with the planning, I start creating content by recording videos. I then place these draft videos into a depository before editing them to a finalised version.

If I take a step back and look at all the tasks ahead, it would be like looking at a moutain of work. To avoid this, I schedule by outstanding tasks and then schedule time each day week-by-week to clearly state what I want to achieve and devote time doing it.

Bit by bit you will complete lectures and sections. By the end of the schedule you'll have next to a perfect course that has been well formed and designed.

As they say, each journey starts with a single step. The motivation for me is finding out if my course is going to be successful. People I'm sure will say it's mostly about helping people (for which it plays a big part) but money is also a motivator. Some courses (if done right) could make considerable amounts each month.  For me it's 50/50. 50% helping people and 50% to provide a new source of income (yes, I'm being very honest - but hey, we've got to live, right? 😉)

Finally, I would say that hard work pays off. Many people spend time after work watching tv, playing games etc. Some of us (especially on this instructors board) make use of our spare time and from that everyone's a winner. It takes devotion and effort but remember the pain of it all is only temporary.

Keep motivated!

Gianni

Go to solution

Planning is everything in the process

So true especially on the last paragraph, I get asked where I find time but that's just it you need to   sacrifice with a bit - which is much more satisfying in the end.

Go to solution

Anyone interested in doing an accountability group with fellow instructors to motivate each other to get our next course "out the door" (published)? If so, I started a thread here with the proposed details. Let me know on that thread if you're interested, or what you think 🙂 https://community.udemy.com/t5/Course-Creation/Anyone-interested-in-an-accountability-motivation-gro...

Go to solution

Would be very interested in joining something like this, however, it says I do not have permission to join when I click the link.  Is there an updated link? 

@LizBrownUX wrote:

Anyone interested in doing an accountability group with fellow instructors to motivate each other to get our next course "out the door" (published)? If so, I started a thread here with the proposed details. Let me know on that thread if you're interested, or what you think 🙂 https://community.udemy.com/t5/Course-Creation/Anyone-interested-in-an-accountability-motivation-gro...

Go to solution

Go to solution

tutorjack on Slack.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors