I'm ready to publish my course, but . . . now what?!?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm ready to publish my course, but . . . now what?!?

Go to solution

After more than six years of painstaking work to produce a course feasibly possessing significant value for its (global?) online learners . . . as its curator, I'd like to invite as well-qualified input as possible from others with comparably related backgrounds to help inform its positioning and future development.

As the course's sole developer to this point, I've recently initiated a conversation with a research director for an 'open source' community with which I've been engaged over this last year and, as a 'social entreprenuer', am commanding the use and integration of several emerging and highly innovative resources.

Questions . . . ideas . . . suggestions?!?

. . . a Udemy (first-time) course creator

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Thank you for clarifying @emergentorder . Lots of possibilities! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
MarkLassoff
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Create a plan to market your course, get some initial reviews, and push publish.  In order to provide more specific help, I'd need a clearer idea of what you are after.  Your post is pretty confusing-- to me at least.

Mark Lassoff

Go to solution

Hello Mark - While I appreciate your taking the time to respond to what's posed itself as a 'next-step design issue' for which I don't feel, at this stage, I have the benefit of (adequate) experience or information to resolve a rather unique situation not involving a conventional "market". - purely emergent

MarkLassoff
Community Champion

Go to solution

Honestly, if there is no current discernable market for your course-- only an emergent market-- I'd think twice about publishing your course on Udemy.  Udemy is at its best when there is an existing category that can drive traffic for your course.

Udemy learners know what they are looking for and articulate that through search.

Mark Lassoff

Go to solution

I certainly would never have vested the time and effort I have in producing the course if I didn't have a reasonably strong, well-qualified, sense of either its "value" or its "market"! What I'm suggesting though, is that its overall design and development in these same ways, is subsequently both innovative and complex with respect to "collective contexts".

YouTube - learning project screenshot.jpg

Emerging market(s), emerging curriculum(s)  . . .  or perhaps, (even) vice versa.  🙂 👍 

MarkLassoff
Community Champion

Go to solution

I'll be blunt-- Unless you can explain the benefits and transformation your course offers in simpler terms, you're going to have difficulty selling it.

Udemy isn't graduate school-- its people (1) taking courses that have an immediate impact on career skills and (2) people taking courses to satisfy curiosity and have fun.

I'm not the sharpest tack, but, I am having trouble following you and the benefits of your course-- and your hesitation.   Learners don't want to know how smart you are, they want to know how your course will benefit them.  Start using that language and the value will become clearer to others.

Mark Lassoff
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

I don't think we can be very constructive without seeing what you have developed. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Frankly Lawrence, I can't argue with that conclusion. However, my issue arises more as a function of 'contextual complexity' than one of "content", so . . . it appears I'm seeking dialogue or suggested resources/alternatives to standard 'market conventions'.

Go to solution

Hi 👋 @emergentorder could you expand ….what are the emerging and highly innovative resources? 

Go to solution

Well, as an example Alexia, I've recently seated the overall project on a newly offered platform to help coordinate a small task team of (8 or less) co-instructors to interface with a director of research in our development of metrics. 

Go to solution

I have similar aspirations that are out of the box. One was Voice Voice and it would allow students to engage with other students virtually to practice skills live. Instructions were built in. You would enter a zoom room and meet whoever was there. Virtual was more utilized a few years back, and now people meet more in person…however the future points to virtual. 

To survive, we will need to continually evolve with ai and tech. Sounds like you may benefit from speaking to corporate Udemy  about vision and the future to see if it fits. We used to say the word xerox when we were making copies and now things are moving to less paper and more digital. Companies are wise to entertain ideas and keep options open. 

Go to solution

Yes, thanks for responding Alexia.

Just to clarify a little . . . the culmination of my efforts to this point aren't merely 'out-of-the-box' aspirations but rather--yet, from my perspective . . . viable design alternatives arising largely from an evolutionary rise in complex (adaptive) systems and (their) commensurately technological capabilities.

So, "yes", in one way or another they may pose a competitive (or developmental) challenge with respect to "fit" in relation to both Udemy's corporate mission (e.g., "purpose") and its operational structure(s). - Brian

Go to solution

Thank you for clarifying @emergentorder . Lots of possibilities! 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors