Importance of being authentic

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importance of being authentic

Hi there new course creators,

Every once in a while, a question pops up like "Should I appear in my video's?" or "Should I use my own voice (even though I have an accent)?" After years of experience on Udemy, I am convinced that students come to Udemy for the authenticity. They want to be trained by real world experts who put together a course in their own unique style. 

They can easily go to other platforms and get hyper professionally produced online courses by professional studio staff. But they do not. They come to Udemy where the average course is not produced by studio staff. Why? Well, they value the authenticity. A bit of an accent, or the fact that you are not a professional spokesperson, is just fine. Just have a look around on Udemy and convince yourself.

So here are some tips:

• Show yourself to the students. Almost all very successful courses on Udemy show the instructor (at least in some videos). There are exceptions, but those are just exceptions. 
  • The instructor should be the subject matter expert. Spokespersons who are not the subject-experts come across as not authentic.  
  • Use your own voice. Do not use those speaking machines. It sounds fake and not authentic.  
  • Use your own unique visual style.   

Now that I typed this, I suddenly get flashbacks of this movie called 'Wayne's World' that I watched years ago. It dealt with the same topic, namely importance of remaining authentic. 

Best regards,

Maz

4 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing these tips with us! @SSAA I'm sure they will be useful for beginners 

Thank you for sharing! It's very helpful to a lot of people! Grateful.

Hear hear.

"Be authentic, who you really are.  It might not work.  But for sure, nothing else will."

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I couldn't agree more!

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors