Isn't free enrolments useful?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn't free enrolments useful?

Hello, I'm new to Udemy and the community. I found it a good place to ask for help.

I've launched my first course almost a month ago. I published it as a paid course - got no enrolments. Tried promotions through both free and paid coupons - got no enrolments. Today I converted it to a Free course and got more than 100 enrolments in less than 12 hours. 

Then I came to see the discussions on the same topic. I figured out students love to collect free courses and most of them don't even start. 

Please help me with the following questions:

1. Isn't it good indicator for Udemy algorithm that my course is showing on the search result and as more free students log in everyday my course gain good rank after sometime? Then I convert it to a paid course, Is it good?
  2. If it is good, then how long should I keep it free? Few days? Few weeks? Few months? or until a specific number of enrolments?
  3. If it is not good, since most student won't finish (rather won't even start), leave bad or avg. reviews? will it effect the ranking?
  4. If I convert it to a paid course - will it automatically gain ranking? provided the fact the selling through coupons on social media didn't work, I got very few results and spent a decent amount of money. 
  5. Or what strategy should I follow?
4 Replies

Even i want answers to these questions. If someone could plz reply asap. Thanx

@ManishRaj068 wrote:

Hello, I'm new to Udemy and the community. I found it a good place to ask for help.

I've launched my first course almost a month ago. I published it as a paid course - got no enrolments. Tried promotions through both free and paid coupons - got no enrolments. Today I converted it to a Free course and got more than 100 enrolments in less than 12 hours. 

Then I came to see the discussions on the same topic. I figured out students love to collect free courses and most of them don't even start. 

Please help me with the following questions:

1. Isn't it good indicator for Udemy algorithm that my course is showing on the search result and as more free students log in everyday my course gain good rank after sometime? Then I convert it to a paid course, Is it good?
  2. If it is good, then how long should I keep it free? Few days? Few weeks? Few months? or until a specific number of enrolments?
  3. If it is not good, since most student won't finish (rather won't even start), leave bad or avg. reviews? will it effect the ranking?
  4. If I convert it to a paid course - will it automatically gain ranking? provided the fact the selling through coupons on social media didn't work, I got very few results and spent a decent amount of money. 
  5. Or what strategy should I follow?

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ManishRaj068 You might try to check some interesting posts about this practice giving your course for free or providing free coupons here.

Regarding the ranking of the course, Search rankings are based on a number of factors, the number of course reviews and the quality of the reviews themselves. For more information on the rating metric, please click here.

I'll also advise you might want to take a look at this great thread where instructors shared some marketing tips here. 

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community

Isn't it good indicator for Udemy algorithm that my course is showing on the search result and as more free students log in everyday my course gain good rank after sometime? Then I convert it to a paid course, Is it good? ----- I have personally noticed that after making a free coupon, a lot of free traffic come on the landing page, and I have noticed that paid enrollment also increased in that period. More traffic on your landing page is a good thing.

If it is good, then how long should I keep it free? Few days? Few weeks? Few months? or until a specific number of enrolments? --- Better to make a coupon and post it in facebook groups, making a course free through udemy payment options seems not worked for me.

If it is not good, since most student won't finish (rather won't even start), leave bad or avg. reviews? will it effect the ranking? --- Yeah, this happens, but everything has some advantages and disadvantages, focus on advantages.

If I convert it to a paid course - will it automatically gain ranking? provided the fact the selling through coupons on social media didn't work, I got very few results and spent a decent amount of money.  --- I have seen that my course with larger students rank good on Udemy.

Or what strategy should I follow?

thank you for addressing my questions. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors