Launched first... time to think on next.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launched first... time to think on next.

Go to solution

Hi,

I launched my first course this week and it feels like I did the right choice. Have about 140 students learning about creation of material in the 3D software tool "Blender" already. The mistake I did, was that the topic is huge. I delivered 12 hours, but it could easily be like 60 hours. So, for the next I think I should narrow the subject. My question is if you have tried to do many very small courses (like 2-3 hours) and if people are interested in bying those that only show a very narrow subject? If it works, it will of course generate more money for less work... but I don't want to scare people off where the say that the hardly got anything for their pay.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @JoakimTornhill , congrats on publishing your first course - it is a very proud special moment. You ask about course length - your best guide it to take a look at your competition and what they are doing. Look at all their preview lectures and takes down the length of their courses, students numbers, when the course was released, updated etc. 

Your aim with any course is to stand out from the competition so take notes on what they are doing well - what you can do better and what other skills you have from even non-related areas can you bring to make a truly unique course.

I teach in a very narrow subject area that I pioneered here on Udemy and do very well from it. My courses bare generally long and my shorter ones not that popular. However, this really isn't a guide as every subject area differs.

If you haven't already I suggest to go through Udemys excellent course marketing tips and implement them to help fuel your success.

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @JoakimTornhill , congrats on publishing your first course - it is a very proud special moment. You ask about course length - your best guide it to take a look at your competition and what they are doing. Look at all their preview lectures and takes down the length of their courses, students numbers, when the course was released, updated etc. 

Your aim with any course is to stand out from the competition so take notes on what they are doing well - what you can do better and what other skills you have from even non-related areas can you bring to make a truly unique course.

I teach in a very narrow subject area that I pioneered here on Udemy and do very well from it. My courses bare generally long and my shorter ones not that popular. However, this really isn't a guide as every subject area differs.

If you haven't already I suggest to go through Udemys excellent course marketing tips and implement them to help fuel your success.

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose

Go to solution

12 hours is wayyy high 🙂 I think less than 10% instructors make that long course. And 60 hours, oops I have never seen any course this big on this platform. Mostly I have noticed courses of 1, 2, 3, 4, hours course which are good.

The course should be small enough so that students might have an impression that they have achieved something.

Rather than too long so that after hours and hours of watching students still get a perception that they hadn't achieved even 5 %

Go to solution

Might be so...but still... now after I have done several courses... this 12 hours is the most popular and despite thousands of students on it, it still rated very high and no one has complained about the length.

The only thing I have got is that they wanted even more in some occasions :).

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors