Lecture Numbering System

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lecture Numbering System

Hi

So I am creating my first course and want to know if there is a way to change the Udemy default numbering system for lectures.
It seems that Udemy numbers the lectures 1.....99 regardless of the sections each lecture is in.
I would like to have this numbered as 1.1 (Section 1, lecture 1), 3.5 (section 3, lecture 5) etc. I'd also like to be able to sub-lettering to some lectures such as 3.5a & 3.5b etc. Is this possible or am I stuck with the default?

Thanks    

3 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Alamshar Currently, the default order of the curriculum cannot be changed. Sections are only set from and within the sections, so you can have Section 1(lecture 1,2,3 )and section 2 (lectures 4,5,6,7) when you change the subject and so on. You can find more details on how you can can add sections here. In case you have any questions, you can send an email to instructorsupport@udemy.com.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

Okay thanks you for that. At least I know it can't be changed and plan accordingly

It would be great to be able to turn off the Udemy numbering and provide my own. My use case is this:

* I have a GitHub repo that accompanies the course, and I want to structure the code like this:

davidg707_0-1702958483612.png

so that the student can easily map between course content and codebase.

* Now, as I'm designing and refining the course these numbers keep changing. If I insert a new lecture after 506, I have to renumber a few files in that section (507 becomes 508, etc)

* But if these were sequential numbers, I'd have to renumber every lecture for the rest of the course

each time I added/moved/removed a lecture.

* I assume I can just name my lectures "506 ..." but then the student would see something like "32. 506 Interactive legend" in the course outline, which seems dopey.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors