Low enrollment

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low enrollment

Go to solution

I am a new instructor. What could be wrong with my course? Udemy does pop it up as a new hot course. Yet, students enrollment has not exceeded one student.

I am working on a second course, and possibly do a free course.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

@MeshachAkak339 Let me make a couple suggestions. Take a look at this post that lists a lot of really good posts with a lot of really good advice, all from experienced and successful instructors. There is no point in trying to repeat it all. Be careful who you take advice from here. https://community.udemy.com/t5/First-time-course-creation/Best-Instructor-Posts-of-All-Time-Course-C....

Second, the object of marketing is NOT to acquire a huge number of enrollments. When you offer free courses or widely distribute free coupons you can get many thousands of free enrollments that do little but boost your ego. The object is to SELL courses and gain revenue. Here is a clue: Reviews are from real students who paid money and are going through the course. Enrollments mean nothing. Experienced instructors who are in the business of selling courses, not giving them away, will have a ratio of reviews to students of around 3 to 1 or 4 to 1. Many of us have computed our actual earned revenue as about $11 per reviews. You can compute this on most instructors page. It may vary some depending on category, but not that much. For example, and I am NOT one of the top earners on Udemy, I am only a modestly successful instructor given the amount of time I have been on the platform, my revenue is right at $888K and I have 81k students. Exactly that ratio. 

Approach this a business , a career, develop your skills, become an expert, and focus on what meets your customers needs. If you can do that, you will succeed. But, again, go read all the good advice in the post I linked to above. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Go to solution

Dear @MeshachAkak339 ,

I think you are rushing. Your course needs time and hard work from your side. I`m in a similar situation. I have 3 students for one week and I think it is great. But I have one review and it is NICE. I hope for more reviews but. . . 
Now I`m putting coupons with discounts on all my social media channels and e-mail list too. I promise you - this is a hard job. Don`t wait just start to promote your course by yourself.
Good luck, man!

🙂

Dr. Martin

Go to solution

Hi @MeshachAkak339

Two skills are needed to be successful on Udemy Platform. Technical skills as well as marketing skills. Technical skills for creating the course (which you have already done) and marketing skills (For making people aware that such an course exists). I have observed that creating a course is much easier than marketing the course.

Before rushing to second course, I will advice you to spend certain time on marketing the first course.

Go to solution

@MeshachAkak339  Congratulations on your first course and good luck for your second course.

In my opinion making course for free for first few days or generating some free coupons and sharing those coupons in communities is the best strategy you can apply to have a social proof you will see a boost in your enrollments.

Regards,

Khadin

Go to solution

May i ask, how long have you been making courses? 

Go to solution

My first course is on Udemy platform and It was published this month.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

@MeshachAkak339 Let me make a couple suggestions. Take a look at this post that lists a lot of really good posts with a lot of really good advice, all from experienced and successful instructors. There is no point in trying to repeat it all. Be careful who you take advice from here. https://community.udemy.com/t5/First-time-course-creation/Best-Instructor-Posts-of-All-Time-Course-C....

Second, the object of marketing is NOT to acquire a huge number of enrollments. When you offer free courses or widely distribute free coupons you can get many thousands of free enrollments that do little but boost your ego. The object is to SELL courses and gain revenue. Here is a clue: Reviews are from real students who paid money and are going through the course. Enrollments mean nothing. Experienced instructors who are in the business of selling courses, not giving them away, will have a ratio of reviews to students of around 3 to 1 or 4 to 1. Many of us have computed our actual earned revenue as about $11 per reviews. You can compute this on most instructors page. It may vary some depending on category, but not that much. For example, and I am NOT one of the top earners on Udemy, I am only a modestly successful instructor given the amount of time I have been on the platform, my revenue is right at $888K and I have 81k students. Exactly that ratio. 

Approach this a business , a career, develop your skills, become an expert, and focus on what meets your customers needs. If you can do that, you will succeed. But, again, go read all the good advice in the post I linked to above. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors