My course is not selling

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My course is not selling

Hello,

It took me 1.5 years to finish this public speaking and communication course . I have put my heart and soul in it, I don't understand why I'm not getting any sales. I have made only 100$ in 9 months.

Can someone please review my course and let me know what am I doing wrong? how can I improve it? 

https://www.udemy.com/course/mastering-communication-skills-public-speaking-skills-course/?couponCod...

2 Replies
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@sum-mah I just looked at your course. You have 11,273 students and 78 ratings. This indicates that you have given away at least ten thousand free coupons. It may not be selling because you are giving it away. Just looking at your intro video, a couple observations for what they are worth:

1. The topic of public speaking is an extremely competitive topic with some of the best instructors on Udemy dominating the topic. TJ Walker, Jimmy Naraine, and Chris Haroun are the top instructors and they are all excellent instructors and, they do a great job of marketing their own courses. It will be very hard to compete against them. Ask yourself, "why would I buy your course instead of theirs?"
  2. The audio seems to be out of sync with the video. This will turn off potential students very quickly. I think the microphone is also not very good. 
  3. With South Asian instructors there is always the issue of accent. To my ear, you are speaking too fast and I have trouble understanding all of your words. Slow down. Enunciate. 
  4. Editing: There are too many cuts. Count the number of edit cuts in your intro video. Record it again a try to cut the need for editing so there are only one third the number of cuts. A number of the stock videos you have inserted are just distracting. You have a full minute of dead time at the end of your intro video. This is not professional and shows a lack of attention to your editing. 
  5. During the first minute of the promo there is background music or noise that is a rhythm sound. It is annoying. 
  6. The second lecture is 14 minutes. Lectures shouldn't be more than 3-5 minutes. I thought your presentation style was very good in this lecture.

You asked... so those are some opinions you might consider.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

I typed in 'public speaking' in the search bar and it's clear that you got major competition, competition that has already thousands of reviews and is well established and even famous in some cases. For sure, there are some minor technical things you can do to improve the technical aspects of your course, but in my view, that still won't make you very competitive. Look, here's an analogy, you are starting a new small unknown restaurant in a street full of well known, respected and sometimes even famous restaurants. Restaurants with cooks that appear on national television. What you should NOT do, is offer more or less the same dishes as they do, especially because you are all more or less charging the same price. You need to somehow come up with something extra, something unique, something that is interesting enough for the diner to skip the famous restaurant in favor of yours. Now, let's drop the restaurant analogy and let's go back to the course. What can you offer that the rest is not offering? Maybe a live session in which the students can get live feedback from you on their performance? I do not see your competitors offer that, so maybe you can use that to stand out. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors