New comers and fairness in undemy system for returning results

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New comers and fairness in undemy system for returning results

Hello,

I have known Udemy as a user for some time. However creating a course for Udmey have been on  my to do list for quite a while now. I am a uniersity professor and I had a look at the courses available in my field, some are quite good, and some are very introductory or really pretty bad.i am sorry but this is what I do as a Job and I have been teaching for more than 15 years. 

anyway, I read somewhere that Udemy prefers and supports well established courses and don't provide much for new comers. I had the chance before to publish with LinkedIn Learning but unfortunately I was too busy at that time and did not go for it as they had specific deadlines.

Now my question is, for new comers, with many other courses on the same topic (some very basic) already avaliable on the platform, how would Udemy at least gives new comers a chance and provides some fairness for them in comparison with courses that have a lot of reviewers and naturally will appear first. I also read that marketing is the most important part of any work you submit to Udemy for new comers and it is very tough.

I aologize for my long post and appreciate honest responses, if possible 

Cheers all and looking forward to hearing your comments

4 Replies
AnupShukla
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @AZEH 

Welcome to Udemy! Udemy is a learning platform popular among learners and instructors alike. It was easy to launch my courses on the udemy platform 3 years back. But I also found it pretty difficult to make my courses popular here! But I'm learning invaluable lessons along this journey @udemy. My courses are still not that popular as older courses in my niche are. I used to wonder why is it so? Udemy should give equal opportunity to newer courses!

But I realise now that, above all, Udemy is  a marketplace, and after all, a business. It has to generate revenue, has to make money. We got a platform; now it's my job to survive amongst the fittest. If quality of my courses is great, I need to spread the word, I cannot rely only on Udemy for this. And that's why - marketing my courses, building a good rapport with my existing students, cross-selling all courses, search engine optimization, promotional announcements -all of these strategies are crucial for success at Udemy.

After exploring it further, I discovered there are excellent resources Udemy provides for these tasks.  Above all, this  instructor community is full of useful tips, tricks, we can use!

Thanks AnupShukla for your response. Very much appreciated.

Hello,

I have had a similar mindset to yours up until i realized that no matter how good your content is, It all goes back to the marketing game, It is logical that Udemy cannot promote all courses and older courses with well established social proof will get the advantage however if you have have built your name through other platforms, Established your learners base and executed a well made marketing plan then this should not be a concern as you would be able to catch faster than you think.

Thanks Ahmed, yes it makes sense. For me I don't have any courses on any other platform but if students Google my name they will see man6 media, publications , conference and talks. Hopefully this will help. My only concern is that effort we put on this, will it be worth it! I mean I have read many many reviews and I tend to ignore the ones they made millions as I understand not everyone will do so!

Thanks again

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors