New here - Can I provide science or art supplies for an Udemy class by using coupons and our website?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here - Can I provide science or art supplies for an Udemy class by using coupons and our website?

Go to solution

My husband and I are hoping to create a course that will include video, mp3s, links to computer programming and models AND will include physical objects in a subscription box to accompany the lessons. We are trying to see if this will work with Udemy. We could have a paid course that includes a coupon code to use on the subscription box site to get the course materials sent free. We were thinking these boxes would be sent monthly to allow the students time to delve into the material and do the exercises. Another approach might be to do it the opposite way and offer the Udemy course free but have them pay for the monthly subscription box.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

It's good to see you thinking outside of the box (to forgive the pun), but I don't think Udemy permit any association with sending out physical goods to students, since it would make them partly responsible for something which is naturally out of their control as a strictly digital platform.   

We've enquired about giving physical prizes in the past to no avail.  Goods at cost, linked to a course which should otherwise be complete, aren't likely to be approved neither with that in mind.  The model would also be potentially viewed an an upsell.  Udemy will expect the course to be complete with the student able to provide their own tools for participation.  That's their knowledge of the content and their control, which in turn allows them to moderate problems, ratings, reviews and refunds in accordance with what the student has purchased and received.

There's nothing stopping you from acquiring emails from students (by mailing list services) to retrieve a bonus lesson and to receive future news and updates.  Your email list is yours and you can choose to offer anything you so wish, provided that it's moral and linked to your course topic(s).  It's quite difficult to sell to people however - even primed students, so you'd need to consider very attractive incentives too to get a fraction of 'bites', assuming the subscription isn't free.

It's probably a good idea to focus on your course content first, free of association to products and consider having students subscribe to your list when you've got things built.  I would suggest that the goods are maybe linked to some bonus content on your own site.

The best of luck with your course.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Go to solution

It's good to see you thinking outside of the box (to forgive the pun), but I don't think Udemy permit any association with sending out physical goods to students, since it would make them partly responsible for something which is naturally out of their control as a strictly digital platform.   

We've enquired about giving physical prizes in the past to no avail.  Goods at cost, linked to a course which should otherwise be complete, aren't likely to be approved neither with that in mind.  The model would also be potentially viewed an an upsell.  Udemy will expect the course to be complete with the student able to provide their own tools for participation.  That's their knowledge of the content and their control, which in turn allows them to moderate problems, ratings, reviews and refunds in accordance with what the student has purchased and received.

There's nothing stopping you from acquiring emails from students (by mailing list services) to retrieve a bonus lesson and to receive future news and updates.  Your email list is yours and you can choose to offer anything you so wish, provided that it's moral and linked to your course topic(s).  It's quite difficult to sell to people however - even primed students, so you'd need to consider very attractive incentives too to get a fraction of 'bites', assuming the subscription isn't free.

It's probably a good idea to focus on your course content first, free of association to products and consider having students subscribe to your list when you've got things built.  I would suggest that the goods are maybe linked to some bonus content on your own site.

The best of luck with your course.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors