Partnering with an existing instructor to create a translated course

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partnering with an existing instructor to create a translated course

Hi Everyone

I really liked a particular course which was only available in a non-English language for a topic that doesn't have too many good quality courses in English. I was wondering if it is allowed according to Udemy rules to partner with an existing instructor and to translate the course and associated material to English (including voiceovers) and publish it as a separate course. I was thinking of using the co-instructor route. 

Has anyone done something similar? Any pro and cons I should be aware of? Just want to check before reaching out the the instructor of that course.

Thanks for any suggestion!

4 Replies

Hi,

(Edited to remove a wrong assumption from my side:)

The idea itself is very good. Partnerships are great. But for sure, what you need is a partner that is a subject expert and not just a great speaker. A voice-over artist is non-authentic and many students flock to Udemy because of the authenticity of being taught by real world subject experts. 

More about this: Course in multiple languages - Udemy Instructor Community

Maz

@GeoPeter015 it's absolutely allowed.

Many instructors have clones of their course in different languages.

If you agree on the IP ownership and revenue share with that instructor, you're all set.

I thought it was forbidden and it probably was until not so long ago when I looked it up, but apparently it is allowed (which opens up a lot of doors I guess for those who want to expand to new markets). I looked it up on the instructor community:

Course in multiple languages - Udemy Instructor Community

Maz

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GeoPeter015 Since your question is about partnering with a different instructor and taking content from other instructors we recommend you send an email to our Trust & Safety team at policy@udemy.com and they will guide you through the process you need to follow. 

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors