Payment Structure is a huge surprise...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Structure is a huge surprise...

So I just launched my first course on Udemy:

https://www.udemy.com/course/theibfprotocol/?referralCode=B1153890234434C009D1

What gets me is this... I am running a coupon code promotion for $49 and the regular price for my course, as set up by me, is $199.95. Udemy is selling my course for $59.99.

Within an hour of promoting my own course, I got the first sale. I received a payment of $6.00. 

Maybe I am not fully au fait with how pricing is calculated, but when I looked at my revenue report, I only see reference to the $6.00 (after taxes).

How do I know who earned the $44.00 and what did they do for it?

I am not necessarily complaining, but I would really like to understand exactlty where most of the money is going and how it is used. As far as i can tell - from Uddemy: "Depending on the partner or the costs of the advertising, the revenue share may vary but will be 25% in most cases."

But $6,00 (from $49) is only about 12%. Is this normal? Is this made clear anywhere?

Why do I feel a bit cheated?

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are opted into the Udemy promotions, the price you set is more like the "suggested retail price". Very rarely will it sell at that price.  If you look in your revenue report, it should tell you how that $6.00 was calculated.  It should show what the sale price was and whether it was organic, the ad program, an affiliate sale, or due to your own promotion.

It has appeared now. It seems that EVERYONE I'm promoting to has gotten the "New Learner Deal," which means they are paying something like $11 for a $200 course. My "promotion," telling them I am giving them a discount (coupon code) is basically a joke now. I am concerned that the impression is created that I was actually trying to "stick" them with a price that's higher than that on Udemy.

It's like my price, my Coupon and my efforts at promotion has no value!

Hardly what I expected...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, your price really doesn't mean anything if you are opted into the promotion program.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors