Short Course Free to gain students?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short Course Free to gain students?

Go to solution

Is there a space for very short courses? Like, 10 to 20 minutes total? 

My idea is to give them away free so I can target the students later on to expand on the courses. For example, I can do a 10 minute lecture on how arrays, pointers, and lists work in C++. All in theory on the white board. 

Later on, I create a full C++ course covering how to actually write the program. 

I guess my question is this, would it hurt to upload 10-20 minute lectures and call it a "course." What are some of the pro's and cons of this method?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Well, you need a minimum of 30 minutes of video content and 5 lectures for a Udemy course. But if you're willing to put in at least that minimum effort, I think it's a good idea. I got started using the same strategy; I released a free "Big Data Basics" course when I started, that promoted my larger, paid course on big data in its bonus lecture.

You have to give this strategy time, however. Only a small percentage of students will complete the free course and see your offer at the end, and only a small percentage of them will take you up on the offer. But over time it can add up to something meaningful.

The "con" is that the bonus lecture is really the only opportunity you have to pitch your paid course from a free one. You cannot send promo announcements to free students, nor do you get their email addresses.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

Well, you need a minimum of 30 minutes of video content and 5 lectures for a Udemy course. But if you're willing to put in at least that minimum effort, I think it's a good idea. I got started using the same strategy; I released a free "Big Data Basics" course when I started, that promoted my larger, paid course on big data in its bonus lecture.

You have to give this strategy time, however. Only a small percentage of students will complete the free course and see your offer at the end, and only a small percentage of them will take you up on the offer. But over time it can add up to something meaningful.

The "con" is that the bonus lecture is really the only opportunity you have to pitch your paid course from a free one. You cannot send promo announcements to free students, nor do you get their email addresses.

DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @mtgingrass
To add to what @FrankKane  has said your 30mins or video content also needs to be a complete course as in having a beginning, a middle and a conclusion so you wouldn't just be able to upload a video lecture as a taster. 

AliciaPaz
Community Champion

Go to solution

I will also add that a 30 min course is likely to get a lot of enrolled students if it's free, but for the small % who engage, I don't see reviews being favorable for such a short course.  If you were wanting to make short 10-20 minute videos engaging on YouTube might be a better idea to gain students. Add your code into the description. All my YT videos have a very brief bio w/ promo link.

Alicia Paz M.A, QMHP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors