Should I record my audio along with screen recording?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I record my audio along with screen recording?

Go to solution

Hi! everyone!

Hope you are doing well.

I am new here and for my 1st course I have prepared following:

1. Topic finalised.
2. Goals determined
3. Course outline created
4. Studio Equipment arranged
5. Studio Setup - Done
6. Test video created - (Passed with very good feedback)

Ok. I am going to create my 1st course and most of my course content will be computer screen recording in which I am going to teach a software and different technical skills. This course will be related to Video editing and animation.

My questions:

1. Should I record my audio along with screen recording while recording software tutorial?

2. Or should I create and edit my tutorial screen recording video 1st and after video editing of tutorial, I should record my audio separately based on edited footage?

I will be using Camtasia & Blue snowball ice.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hi,

I am not a multi-tasker. So I prefer to concentrate on one thing at a time. So I knew I could only do it separately.  I first started recording my screen cast and then wrote a script to it. But the spoken words I was not very happy about.

And then I decided to start with the script after seeing the following video : https://youtu.be/ig5pt6KN8FA.  The visuals are so simple, but its lovely to listen to the story.  I have tried it out and I think just as good quality audio is important - writing a good story makes listening and watching a pleasure. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Go to solution

I always record the audio with the screen capture. Re-recording audio and then syncing it afterwards in post-production is quite challenging at the best of times. My advice, record the audio and screen capture video together to avoid the extra work and steps involved. Hope that helps.

James Burchill

Go to solution

Thanks a lot for your response. Smiley Happy

Go to solution

I think you should try it out 🙂 There are indeed people who would recommend to do the recording of the screen and the audio seperately. And of course it is more work as James pointed out. But it is also quite challenging to do something on the screen and comment on it in a coherent and engaging way at the same time. Some people are good at that. They can record both in parallel and it comes out great. Others start to stumble, mumble and repeat themselves. Then it is better to record it seperately.

If you record both at the same time I would recommend to do at least one test run, where you do everything you want to do in the video. This way you won't be surprised if something doesn't work as expected etc.

Go to solution

I prefer to record audio along with the screen recording. Slow down, take your time. Stop talking when you need to focus - short pauses are easliy editied out post production. There is a lot you can clean up in post production! 

Go to solution

Great advice. I do exactly the same but you have put it very concisely: slow down -- you can cut blanks out in post =] 

Go to solution

Hi,

I am not a multi-tasker. So I prefer to concentrate on one thing at a time. So I knew I could only do it separately.  I first started recording my screen cast and then wrote a script to it. But the spoken words I was not very happy about.

And then I decided to start with the script after seeing the following video : https://youtu.be/ig5pt6KN8FA.  The visuals are so simple, but its lovely to listen to the story.  I have tried it out and I think just as good quality audio is important - writing a good story makes listening and watching a pleasure. 

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try your advice. 

Go to solution

I think it depends a lot on your subject and I agree with @JanTissler. You should test both ways.

I teach Photoshop on Youtube and at first I tried to talk along screencasting what I do in Photoshop. Then it seemed impossible because thinking what to say+ doing what you supposed to do on screen+ planning next thing was awfully hard.

Then I wrote a script and screencast Photoshop seperately but that was not a good idea for me either because production time was too long. Writing script, screencasting, records and editing them was like a lifetime.

So, my final production method formed by time and experiment. I'm now just better at talking when doing things on screen, and I can plan my video along screencasting(For example, "at this point, I should add a video (B-roll)", "If I say this, they learn it better." etc.).

My first video (7 minutes) took 10 days from start to publish. Now if I have an idea, it just take 3-4 hours before I publish.

So I say, just keep creating and let your experience decide.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors