Suggestion to time management

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion to time management

Go to solution

I hope you are doing well. I 've developed my 70% course slides. But now I am in trouble. I planned many times to start course recording but easily distracted due to overthinking, Youtube, FB, and web browsing. Please, any suggestion, How can I concentrate fully on my course recording? How can I stop myself from web browsing? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

I'm just wondering if there is something else holding you back and the web browsing is the symptom, rather than the cause.

When I find myself procrastinating, I sometimes stop and ask myself, 'What's stopping me?' I often find that I don't know exactly how to move forward. Then I realise I need to do more research. Are you sure you are confident with recording? Have you tested your equipment etc? Maybe the next step is more research before doing the full job of recording your course.

I sometimes like to test the waters, rather than jumping right in and trying to swim.

By the way I haven't recorded a course yet either. 

I'm still testing the waters! Smiley Happy

LL

View solution in original post

AxelRittershaus
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

When we are worried or fear doing something, even jobs like cleaning the dishes become highly tempting...

Often it's the fear of rejection ("will people like my stuff"), perfectionism ("I don't think the slides are ready..."), negative self-talk ("who do I think I am to teach this stuff, idiot"), and other concerns guiding us into either time-killing-actions or (very difficult to spot!) pseudo-productive tasks like "let me see if I can find another, additional picture for this one slide" killing another 3 hours and all of a sudden "Oh shame, it's too late to start recording now".

My way:

I shedule specific time for the recordings, and when I do voice-over for my slides, I can only do them in a particular timeframe when the house is empty, the dogs are sleeping, ...

I block that time in my schedule, clear my desk from other stuff (I do that the night before!), get the equipment prepared.

When the time comes, even if I think "oh, let me quickly look at the news",

• I resist that urge,
  • open the first presentation,
  • open Audacity,
  • prepare my "audio-box",
  • and start rehearsing!

Rehearsing is my way of telling myself "well, I'm technically not yet recording", but once I rehearsed the first presentation, I start recording. And off it goes 🙂

And don't forget: While you are waiting, someone else might be busy publishing a course that is only 50% as good as yours, but taking 90% of your potential clients away from you...

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Go to solution

I'm just wondering if there is something else holding you back and the web browsing is the symptom, rather than the cause.

When I find myself procrastinating, I sometimes stop and ask myself, 'What's stopping me?' I often find that I don't know exactly how to move forward. Then I realise I need to do more research. Are you sure you are confident with recording? Have you tested your equipment etc? Maybe the next step is more research before doing the full job of recording your course.

I sometimes like to test the waters, rather than jumping right in and trying to swim.

By the way I haven't recorded a course yet either. 

I'm still testing the waters! Smiley Happy

LL

Go to solution

Dear, thank you very much for your guidance. Yes, I've cleared the equipment requirements in my test video....

Go to solution

Dear, thank you very much for your guidance. Yes, I've cleared the equipment requirements in my test video....

vinod
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

I would refrain myself from using social media. But if I am being distracted, then probably I would switch off my wifi for the duration of the recording.

I am a big fan of movies and series on Netflix and Amazon Prime. However, since the time I started focussing on my Udemy courses, I haven't seen a single episode or a movie. It's either I am working on my course, or participating in discussions here.

All the best.

Vinod.

Go to solution

Naeem!

Many people don't realise the creeping and seductive power of the internet.

The smart phones which are immediate have made it worse.

Believe it or NOT...It is a pain across the modern world if you take it lightly and DON'T KNOW HOW TO FIGHT BACK.

It is akin to drug addiction...

So how do you fight back?

Keep away as much as possible from the web.

It would be gradual because I have seen withdrawal signs and symptoms even amongst husbands, wives and children...

What would help you further is to ask yourself these simple questions.

And for any project of that matter.

Urgency and Importance.

"Of what tremendous USE is my getting these UDEMY courses ready. What is the time frame this must be DONE?

if these two questions matter to you so much , you would find the time and create your courses amongst other things.

That way nothing would stop you!

Whatever the teething problem and seductive distractions by coming here too often.

Leave that to perennial authors...

All the best 

AxelRittershaus
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

When we are worried or fear doing something, even jobs like cleaning the dishes become highly tempting...

Often it's the fear of rejection ("will people like my stuff"), perfectionism ("I don't think the slides are ready..."), negative self-talk ("who do I think I am to teach this stuff, idiot"), and other concerns guiding us into either time-killing-actions or (very difficult to spot!) pseudo-productive tasks like "let me see if I can find another, additional picture for this one slide" killing another 3 hours and all of a sudden "Oh shame, it's too late to start recording now".

My way:

I shedule specific time for the recordings, and when I do voice-over for my slides, I can only do them in a particular timeframe when the house is empty, the dogs are sleeping, ...

I block that time in my schedule, clear my desk from other stuff (I do that the night before!), get the equipment prepared.

When the time comes, even if I think "oh, let me quickly look at the news",

• I resist that urge,
  • open the first presentation,
  • open Audacity,
  • prepare my "audio-box",
  • and start rehearsing!

Rehearsing is my way of telling myself "well, I'm technically not yet recording", but once I rehearsed the first presentation, I start recording. And off it goes 🙂

And don't forget: While you are waiting, someone else might be busy publishing a course that is only 50% as good as yours, but taking 90% of your potential clients away from you...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors