TIME REQUIRED: 60x ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIME REQUIRED: 60x ?

I have just submitted my first test video.

Nothing really complicated, but it took me forever to make it.

Question for the old hands here:  Are the first five or ten video clips automatically horrendously time laden due to clueless newbee syndrome ?

Do you guys who have been doing this a long time still spend two or three hours to prepare a 00:02:45 clip ?

3 Replies

Hi @CLINT 

I have been doing this for about 2 years now and have close to 30 courses. For my first couple courses I spent MUCH longer than I do now creating the actual video. There are a couple reasons for this. The first is simply because I've gotten much better at creating content. The second is I no longer "sweat the details".

Most instructors will earn between $1 and $5 for each course sold. You simply cannot spend 2-3 hours creating a simple 2:45 video when we make so little money on each sale. At least I refuse to do it. Of course, this is a bit of a balancing act. You cannot produce junk because then you are wasting your time.

I try to create my courses to be good enough and then move on to the next course. Most of my courses are 3-5 hours long and I will spend a couple weeks creating them. Virtually all of my courses are rated between 4.2 and 4.7.

There is no doubt I could spend a lot more time making my courses absolutely first rate. But, then, Udemy will sell my $29.95 course to someone in India for $5 and I will make $2. For me, I would rather spend my time creating many good enough courses. 

Hi @CLINT 

It's different for everybody. Practice, make loads of test videos and eventually you will find your flow. My biggest hurdle when I first started was video editing. I made the mistake of making my first course whilst learning to video edit. It took for ever and drove me bonkers. 

Best of luck. 

Thank you.

Just curious, are you a mind reader ?

"...My biggest hurdle  ...  video edit..."

You described my current circumstances exactly in three sentences.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!