Tax

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax

Hello, 

I've seen a few queries on this on here but no conclusive answers as yet. 

I'm UK based. 
Do I pay tax to the US and UK government?
Going through Payoneer, I think. 

Thanks for any help!
Chris

7 Replies

Dear Chris,

If you have set up your W8 correctly, the US withholding tax should be 0%.

For more details about the W8 from a UK perspective, please see https://caseron.co.uk/how-to-complete-a-w-8ben-e-form/ . I paid them to help me fill out the W8 form - so it might be beneficial for you to do so as well.

Phillip 

Thank you @PhillipBurton 

One more @PhillipBurton, if I'm not pushing my luck.......I wonder, is this a process I can get started right now?

ie. I don't plan to upload my course videos for a few months, but I'd like to get the tax docs in order, well beforehand. 

(btw - I took your advice and reached out to Caseron.co.uk.......just waiting on a reply) 

Chris

Hi Chris, and Udemy people!

I'm also stuck on this...

I've completed the W8 form and set all of that up with Udemy. I can see some tax is being withheld from my US students, so I can see that the US side of things is being paid.

But I'm a UK resident and I'm self-employed. In the UK, we need to declare all our earnings and then pay 20% tax on them in a self-declaration document. Do I need to do this with all of my Udemy earnings, when I receive them through Payoneer? 

Thank you!

Hi Melanie,

You would need to pay UK tax, as with any other source of income. If you are claiming it as self-employment, then you would need to add it to your Self Assessment form (and potentially pay National Insurance  as well).

If you don't have a 0% rate, then you may be able to get some relief on the US tax - see https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/taxed-twice for details.

Phillip

Fantastic, thank you for your quick reply! 

Yes, that will be counted on withholding depending on your overall earning such as investment , earning from different sources . You can submit forms in order submit other investment details.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!