Tax

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax

Hello, 

I've seen a few queries on this on here but no conclusive answers as yet. 

I'm UK based. 
Do I pay tax to the US and UK government?
Going through Payoneer, I think. 

Thanks for any help!
Chris

7 Replies

Dear Chris,

If you have set up your W8 correctly, the US withholding tax should be 0%.

For more details about the W8 from a UK perspective, please see https://caseron.co.uk/how-to-complete-a-w-8ben-e-form/ . I paid them to help me fill out the W8 form - so it might be beneficial for you to do so as well.

Phillip 

Thank you @PhillipBurton 

One more @PhillipBurton, if I'm not pushing my luck.......I wonder, is this a process I can get started right now?

ie. I don't plan to upload my course videos for a few months, but I'd like to get the tax docs in order, well beforehand. 

(btw - I took your advice and reached out to Caseron.co.uk.......just waiting on a reply) 

Chris

Hi Chris, and Udemy people!

I'm also stuck on this...

I've completed the W8 form and set all of that up with Udemy. I can see some tax is being withheld from my US students, so I can see that the US side of things is being paid.

But I'm a UK resident and I'm self-employed. In the UK, we need to declare all our earnings and then pay 20% tax on them in a self-declaration document. Do I need to do this with all of my Udemy earnings, when I receive them through Payoneer? 

Thank you!

Hi Melanie,

You would need to pay UK tax, as with any other source of income. If you are claiming it as self-employment, then you would need to add it to your Self Assessment form (and potentially pay National Insurance  as well).

If you don't have a 0% rate, then you may be able to get some relief on the US tax - see https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/taxed-twice for details.

Phillip

Fantastic, thank you for your quick reply! 

Yes, that will be counted on withholding depending on your overall earning such as investment , earning from different sources . You can submit forms in order submit other investment details.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors