Trying to Understand the Process

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Understand the Process

I'm a little confused on what it takes to get started becoming an instructor. I clicked on Become an Instructor link and it appears I have to submit a complete course for review before becoming an instructor. Is this how it works? Do I have to create and video an entire course before becoming an instructor?

7 Replies

Hi @RandyMinder, we're very excited that you're interested in becoming a Udemy instructor! You've got it right, since we function primarily as an on-demand, video based platform, you’ll need to upload your video files directly to Udemy. In other words, students must be able to view your course lectures on the Udemy platform. Courses must have at least 30 minutes of video content and at least 5 lectures or learning modules. Additional teaching tools (like assignments, quizzes, and coding exercises, etc) can be added to create a rich learning experience for students. 

In order to ensure that students have great learning experiences, we also have a Quality Review Process that every course goes through. For more information on this please click here. This article outlines how you can create a Udemy course, and includes extensive resources to help you get started.

Hope this helps!

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

Thanks Abbie. I understand I have to upload my videos etc. to Udemy for students to see them. What I didn't know is that I had to upload my entire course to officially become an instructor. I thought maybe becoming an instructor was an intermediate step. And, then, once I became an instructor, I would submit my course(s) when done. What happens if I spend say 30 days creating my course, upload it and then Udemy rejects it for some reason? Is there some process whereby I can create maybe the first few lessons, to make sure I'm on the right track, have it reviewed and then continue once Udemy says it looks good?

Hey @RandyMinder, thanks for following up! We have a great tool available for this very purpose called Test Video which I think would be helpful for you. Basically you create a quick 1-3 minute video where you use the equipment and software you plan to use to record your course videos, and the team gives you feedback on your tools, the quality of your audio and video, and also on your delivery as an instructor. You can get more information here: https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229604128-Creating-and-Submitting-a-Test-Video

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

Thanks Abby, I've seen that and will take advantage of it. Once I do that, then I create my entire course and then submit for review. Once reviewed, I assume it then gets published to Udemy and students can then see it?

You've got it right! 🙂 Let me know if you have any further questions, @RandyMinder.

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

Abbie - On your Create an Engaging Course page (https://www.udemy.com/instructor/resources/?page=teaching), there is a link to download an outline template (Step 4 on the page). When I click it, I get taken to this page (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_e2U5BIs_EGySIp_hhwr8V3-bpZMu6b57mrcZntg0eE/edit) with an error that says "We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of ourTerms of Service." How can I download this template?

That's strange! Have you reached out to instructorsupport@udemy.com yet? If not, please do feel free to report this to them. Our team would be happy to help you out.

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors