Udemy Course Marketing #1: How to Select a Niche and Then Dominate It

This is the prologue to my series of posts on Udemy Marketing:

#1: How to Select a Niche and Then Dominate It
#2: Name Your Course to Be Found
#3: Get Lots of Free Students Fast
#4: Get Lots of Quality Reviews Fast
#5: Revenue 1: Secret Powers of Udemy Promotional Announcements

1.1 Use Udemy Marketplace Insights to Evaluate Potential Top Course Niches

Udemy extends their software frequently. Well, they really came through with at least one new extension: Marketplace Insights.

The first step in choosing a Udemy course topic area (niche) is to choose a topic in which you’re interested. Lack of interest or knowledge in your topic will reflect in your recording causing students to stop watching and possibly leave a bad review.

Soapbox On:

The afore mentioned aside, you don’t need to be an expert in your topic to teach it. This I learned from “The Profitable Teacher”, a resource provided to knew Teachable instructors. Being new to a topic can make you even more aware of what the beginner needs to learn. Also, being knew you’re fresh and excited by the topic. Now, that said you need recording and organizational skills and a pretty good knowledge of the topic to teach it effectively and to respond to questions.

Soapbox Off:

To get to the Udemy Marketplace Insights feature, go to the Instructor dashboard and choose Tools -> Marketplace Insights. In the search box displayed enter the name of the niche you’re interested in (e.g. mailchimp). You then need to select from one of the known course categories.

Next, wonder at the results — I think you’ll find them easy to interpret. Note that “mailchimp” originally showed up as a niche you should go after. I didn’t publish this fact in previous mentions of Marketplace Insights because I had a course that’s #2 in “mailchimp” search results. Now, it’s a tougher niche to enter… so, come and get me ;-).

Do niche research. See how many reviews you need to compete, how many students other courses have….

Bottom line: Select a Good Niche for You and Don’t Be Afraid to Record in It

Read more...

2 Replies

Thanks for sharing this great topic man! Smiley Happy

Sometimes Udemy insight gives wrong information but not all the times.

I'll talk about it another time currently i'm recording!

After that Brian : How many hours you work in Udemy community every day?

Or it's better to ask: How many hours you don't work in Udemy community every day? Smiley Happy

Regards;

Anonymous
Not applicable

@csking1981,

I've been working 2-3 hours a day on the Udemy community while I port courses, but alas the porting is complete and so may be my stint on the community.  With so much to do, continuing to keep track of the community in the future will be tough.

Carry on the good work :-).

---Brian

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors