What price to start with?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What price to start with?

Go to solution

Good day,

With what price should I start a course that lasts around 10 hours ? It will be my first course, so I don't want to make it too high, but in the other hand, with all the promotional offers I have the feeling I should start quite high to give the discount effect...

What is your experience and what will you recommend?

Thank you,

Victor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnupShukla
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @VictorFreys 

If you've opted-in to the 'Udemy Deals' program, no matter what price you put for your course, it will be sold to students across the globe on the discounted price. Learners looking for courses at Udemy, almost always wait for such sale events before they purchase courses. As an instructor, I understand that my efforts in developing a course must be the deciding factor for course price, but Udemy is a volume business: the more we sell, the more we earn.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AnupShukla
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @VictorFreys 

If you've opted-in to the 'Udemy Deals' program, no matter what price you put for your course, it will be sold to students across the globe on the discounted price. Learners looking for courses at Udemy, almost always wait for such sale events before they purchase courses. As an instructor, I understand that my efforts in developing a course must be the deciding factor for course price, but Udemy is a volume business: the more we sell, the more we earn.

Go to solution

Hi @AnupShukla ,

thank you for your reply. So I the strategy here would be to take the Udemy deals program and hope many students enroll the course, right ?

AnupShukla
Community Champion

Go to solution

Right @VictorFreys 

Wish you much success!

Go to solution

I need to stop discounting my course prices
These discounts are not commensurate with the target segment

Go to solution

Hey @Dr.NourAbdA291 , what do you mean? Do you manually reduce the price, are you part of the Udemy Deals or do you think you set your price too low?

Go to solution

I don't lowball. My main course is listed at $149. I think only two people have ever paid that price and Udemy has snapped up almost all of it so you're not in it for the profit. My rationale is when the sales inevitably happen, a person sees a $149 course discounted for a limited time only and they take the deal. And as @AnupShukla very correctly states it's a volume game>

But even with that said, Udemy has a clause that they reserve the right to put any price they like on your course and at the end of last year they arbitrarily decided that $29.99 was a better price for my content. That's the price you see on it now.

Either way it hasn't hurt enrollments - in fact I've had a crazy amount of new students in the last 4 months comparatively.

Summary? Almost nobody will pay the asking price and will wait for a sale. In fact you'll be getting restless when there aren't any sales. But don't lowball either. Dion't be afraid to tell everyone - "hey I have a course here and to me it's worth $99.99" or whatever price you want to put on it. Perception of value and the perception of saving a lot of money during a sale goes a long way.

Go to solution

Hello .. the training I will be providing online vs in person can't be the same price? How would I go for comparison? Or rather when provided discounts? I thought perhaps only offer online and for refresher I can do in class but I would do virtual with online of course or do I offer all to online and not in class ?

Go to solution

Damian, That,was my thinking initially. I am going to try I believe a lower price to get a few sales. I believe it hurts when I have 1 Sale. Thanks for your imput.

Go to solution

no metter what price you should mention for.if your course is real benefit for the world then it will sold globally in any your desired price.https://webcoinnews.com/

Go to solution

Start with $19.99 and increase the price when you get positive feedback

Go to solution

Yes I have had the time to go through some Q and A and have it settled 🙂 very much appreciate your direct response 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors