What's the problem that you had on your first course making process

Options

Hello

What's all the problems had that you had on your first creation ??

Comments

• MariaG
    MariaG Posts: 2,328 researcher rank
    Options

Interesting question @Rebihbrinki775
    Let's see what other instructors can share!

• DiogoAlvesd487
    Options

Hey, I can definitely say it was a lot of problems. I would highlight:

1. Audio. Getting a half decent audio quality was an hassle
    2. Software. Finding a free software that I liked was a pain in the ass as well
    3. Recording. Quite the energy draining process.

• MichelHobso897
    Options

Will be interested in replies - I have encountered many more issues than I expected - especially since I an instructional designer in my "day job", but I use authoring software such as Articulate Storyline or Captivate - I expected this process to be faster and streamlined - I was wrong.

• JoshuaBrind355
    Options

In my day job, I create and deliver classroom, online, and digital learning.

So I expected that, since I have the knowledge for the content, and I can make a learning experience and I know my way around Premiere Pro and After Effects, the process would be easy.

It took so much more effort than I initially believed - but I did enjoy the process none the less.

The technical aspect of course creation I struggled with the most was definitely the voice overs. I wrote a 23'000 word script and tried to record voice over. A big initial surprise is, how much 'energy' the mic drains out of you. I thought I was delivering the lines with enthusiasm, but listening back, it sounded like I was half asleep. So I changed tactics and recorded that lines as though I was on a sugar high - trying to inject as much excitement as I could into the voice. Then listening back, it sounded right. So here's a tip: recorded lines 50% more enthusiastically than you think you need to be, as somehow the process of recording drains them.

Other than that, the biggest challenge creatively was finding my 'style'. A look-and-feel that will guide all the editing, set the tone for the course, and how I want to deliver. I went back and forth so many times on that. In the end, I picked one I liked and stuck with it - but part of me still wants to go back and change it again!

Definitely loads of lessons learned for the next course I will make.

• Bader
    Bader Posts: 9
    Options

I had to use my phone for recording audio and then send it to my computer and try to synchronize with the screen recording.. it was fun though.. :smileyhappy:

• MichelHobso897
    Options

@Bader
    So you did not record the audio with the screens... they are separate files and you then synced the audio? Is that correct? (I ask, because I recorded the audio with each PowerPoint slide - as I created each slide. But makes the "script" somewhat disjointed, and less fluid than if I recorded all together sequentially). Just curious...

• Bader
    Bader Posts: 9
    Options

Hi @MichelHobso897
    I recorded the audio in my phone while recording the screen. So, I had two audio files (one in my phone and one with the screen record). I had to synchronize them first and then deleted the screen audio as it was not clear. With my phone, it was clearer. I used app called "easy voice recorder". Hope this is clear :)

• MichelHobso897
    Options

@Bader
    Thank you for the suggested App. Will test it out this week.

• DenizKo
    DenizKo Posts: 3
    Options

I am doing the same now! And I thought everyone owned a fancy mic... :smileylol:

@Bader
    wrote:

I had to use my phone for recording audio and then send it to my computer and try to synchronize with the screen recording.. it was fun though.. :smileyhappy: