When does my course "updated"?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does my course "updated"?

Hi

I'm pretty new to Udemy. 

I have a quick question to which I couldn't find an answer elsewhere.

I see courses with "Updated July 2, 2019". I wonder what is the definition / criteria of "update"? Does it include just a font change or you need to add a complete new section or chapter....?

I'd appreciate it if someone with experience here could help me.

9 Replies

I just go in and make changes to an article every month. 

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mike Takada Even you have recently updated your course, there is a criteria for course changes that our product team has set in order for the "last updated" information to change. There is a bar that must be reached involving a certain amount of updates to your course content, before the “last updated” information changes.

As a means to help ensure the integrity of our marketplace, we aren't able to share that criteria externally.

In case you have further questions, please reach out to instructorsupport@udemy.com.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community

Is this some kind of joke? As an instructor I want to know what to do for my course to show updated. Why does Udemy hide this information/criteria? At least tell us, the new content must be X amount of length to update your course or a file must be uploaded or something else. 

Are we playing hide and seek here? Is this how you treat your Instructors? This criteria thing is not a secret service information you should be hiding for god's sake.

@IsmailCenk I completely agree

Udemy, care to chime in as to why you're playing games with the people who bring you money? 

Yes exactly. I am absolutely shocked right now, we generate money for Udemy and I can not even find out how to update my course because Udemy does not want to tell me how to do it. I have recently updated my course and the course still shows as not updated and emailed the Udemy instructor support and this is a part from the Udemy response:

"As a means to help ensure the integrity of our marketplace, we aren't able to share that criteria externally. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I'm sorry I can't share any additional information regarding this, but please let me know if you have any other questions."

Wow , this is how Udemy treats the instructors. I am speechless

Hi everyone,

I have added a word document to one of my courses as an action to promote the course enrollment during black Friday, but I can see that last updated date didn't change. Is the course only update when I upload a video?

No. I uploaded a video, and changed the title slightly to reflect the current nature of the course, and it still says the wrong "last updated" date.

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RickMacGillis Although you have recently updated your course, there is a criteria for course changes that our product team has set in order for the "last updated" information to change. There is a bar that must be reached involving a certain amount of updates to your course content, before the “last updated” information changes.

As a means to help ensure the integrity of our marketplace, we aren't able to share that criteria externally. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Moderator 

Hi Eliana,

While I do understand the reasons for not sharing the exact criteria publicly, I think that some guidelines should be provided.

I've just added 14 Quiz questions to my course and 'Last updated' has stayed the same - now I'm wondering if it needs time to refresh or 14 Quiz questions (which is not a small amount of work and I honestly think it's not "gaming the system") aren't enough for updating the 'Last updated' field.

Best,

Predrag

EDIT: new date appeared!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors